Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW HEQ5 Pro mount

hadyn42

Hello Guys

I intend to use EQMOD to connect my laptop into my HEQ5 Pro mount and it to use to control my mount. I will be also using CDC and APT.

Please can anyone tell me what FTDI  USB to Serial lead I need to connect my PC to my HEQ5 Pro mount? I have already got the ftdi-usb-rj11 - 5 meter lead and it seems that it will only fit into my mount into the Auto Guider port as the connection which as mentioned is the USB to RJ11. Please can someone tell me is this the connection (Auto Guider Guider Port) that  I need to use?

Best regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Hello Haydn, the EQDIR cable should plug into the handset port on your HEQ5. Here's the one that FLO sell:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Good luck - you'll never look back once you have the computer hooked up to the mount and everything else!

1 hour ago, cjdawson said:

Hi Haydn,

If you are talking about a USB EqMod cable, I thought they were ESB to RJ45, not RJ11.    Just looked up an EQMOD cable and found this one from RVO, which shows to me that it is indeed an RJ45, so shouldn't be able to fit into the autoguider port.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/EQMODHEQ5.html

Hi Colin

How are you keeping and are you managing much imaging your way?

Thank you for the info.

Regards,

Hadyn

5 minutes ago, PhotoGav said:

Hello Haydn, the EQDIR cable should plug into the handset port on your HEQ5. Here's the one that FLO sell:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Good luck - you'll never look back once you have the computer hooked up to the mount and everything else!

Hello Gav

Thanks for the info.

I found a short version of the lead in my pile of astro stuff that gets moved around from room to room, ha,ha.  Just tried it now and it works fine thank you.  Just need to order a longer length or a an usb live extender.....

I hope all is well with you.

Regards,

Hadyn

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hadyn42 said:

Hello Gav

Thanks for the info.

I found a short version of the lead in my pile of astro stuff that gets moved around from room to room, ha,ha.  Just tried it now and it works fine thank you.  Just need to order a longer length or a an usb live extender.....

I hope all is well with you.

Regards,

Hadyn

Good job - the miracle of the box of bits!

45 minutes ago, hadyn42 said:

Hi Colin

How are you keeping and are you managing much imaging your way?

Thank you for the info.

Regards,

Hadyn

Glad that your box of bits has the answer :D

I've been managing to get some Imaging done,  actually. I've bought a new scope and have got some excellent results from it.    Here's a couple that took recently.   Wide field shot of the milky way from Kielder.

St-avg-1740.0s-NR-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-full-eq-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RL-noMBB-NoSt.thumb.png.a231fcaf32381672bb52c37ed2af4db2.png

M45 taken from my font garden on sunday

IMG_0390.JPG.13a092987ea6d5bec7b1290bc1055f84.JPG

Looking forward to doing some great images.