NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PHD2, EQMOD, HEQ5 Pro.. any ideas?

AstroJay

Hi guys,

Complete beginner here, using a Canon 800D, WO Z73 with Field flatter, WO 50/200 with GP-Cam v1 for guiding on a HEQ5 mount. I'm connecting the HEQ5 directly to my PC via Lynx Astro USB cable, EQMOD is working great, works in APT with no issues, however in PHD2 it connects to EQMOD fine, but then sends nothing to the mount. I've restarted and reinstalled all the drivers and software, checked USB ports, checked that EQMOD is guiding, changed to ST4 in EQMOD, changed back to ascom pulseguiding, checked PHD2 settings, tried to connect via the camera using the ST4 cable (god knows how to even choose the correct mount when doing that), but everything I try results in the same thing - calibration error, start did not move, the manual guiding doesn't do anything, even setting the pulse to 5000ms...

Read a lot of the forum posts, but haven't found anything else to try, could have missed something... Any ideas?

Attached the ASCOM log and PHD2 log

Here's hoping!

Jay

PHD2_GuideLog_2019-12-01_194314.txt ASCOM.SkyWatcher.1620.226870.txt

Hi

Ensure the eqmod guide speed is at least 0.5 sidereal. Leave it connected. Now make a new phd2 profile. Same settings you used before for the camera, but choose EQ5/6 for the mount. 

HTH

Edited by alacant

Hi Jay

Your Calibration was carried out at Dec = 90, in other words pointing at the North Pole, or maybe Polaris..

So when Calibration started, PHD2  started stepping the mount west. All that would do is rotate the mount, but it would still be pointed at Polaris, which would only move as much as your Polar Alignment error.

Calibration should ideally be carried out at Dec = 0 and pointing roughly south.

Dec 0 isn't your local horizon, Dec 0 is only 90 degrees down from Polaris .

Read these Best Practices:

https://openphdguiding.org/phd2-best-practices/

Michael

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Hi Jay

Your Calibration was carried out at Dec = 90, in other words pointing at the North Pole, or maybe Polaris..

So when Calibration started, PHD2  started stepping the mount west. All that would do is rotate the mount, but it would still be pointed at Polaris, which would only move as much as your Polar Alignment error.

Calibration should ideally be carried out at Dec = 0 and pointing roughly south.

Dec 0 isn't your local horizon, Dec 0 is only 90 degrees down from Polaris .

Read these Best Practices:

https://openphdguiding.org/phd2-best-practices/

Michael

So it is! I confess I hadn't looked at the PHD2 log....