NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light on 3 new toys

Well today I managed first light on 3 new toys. Well white light solar.

Firstly my new ED 80. Purchased used for £200 and to be honest it doesn't look like its been out of the case. Came with 2" diagonal and 9x50 RACI finder. Took a while to get balance on my skytee2 but got there eventually with the 2.5kg counter weight at the bottom of the bar. There were a few things loose but these were soon identified and tightend. I'm no expert but the overall look and feel of the scope is nice. It's also lighter than it looks too. It gave very sharp and crisp views of a low sun at 1100 today. 

Lunt 1.25 Herschel wedge:

Pontificated on this purchase since the Mercury transit last month, which I viewed with my 150pds and solar film. Was originally going to get the TS wedge but was slightly put off by the reply from astroshop about removing the stacked filter and replacing with an ND3.0. Anyway opted for the 1.25 Lunt and polarised filter. Ordered from FLO on Friday and dropped off by DPD Saturday morning.  It comes in a nice alloy flight box with cutouts to accommodate filters. The feel and weight of the wedge suggests quality. The ND 3.0.filter is permanently fitted into the nose piece receptacle. There is no thread on the prism end of the ND3.0 filter, so any additional filters need are attached to the EP or an T extension tube. Attatching the wedge to the scope was simple with the 2" to 1.25 adapter. The compression fittings held it nice and tight.

OVL Hyperflex 7.2-21.5 Zoom EP:

Having attached the polarising filter to the EP it was inserted into to wedge. Again the compression fitting on the wedge held it snugly. Prior to removing the top dust cap which is held firmly with friction I rotated the EP through the zoom range to see how freely it moved. It was like butter. Very smooth indeed but just enough friction that it holds firmly in place when released. No slop. There is no positive click between the marked zooms but I really didn't find this a problem. The Eyecup rotates up with 3 positive clicks. I used it in the fully extended position. As can be seen it's not a massive EP and not too heavy either. Overall it feels good. In use it delivered very sharp views. It remained parfocal all through the zoom range except at the 7.1 end where the telescope focuser needed the slightest of tweeks.

Overall:

Im really pleased with todays efforts and the setup. I did find the sun still a bit bright with just the polariser so added a further 25% moon filter which aided the contrast. I guess this is where the addition of a solar continuum filter will help. Was it better than the solar film. Well the seeing wasn't great but colour and contrast wise I would say yes. Subtle, but yes. Looking forward to using the scope and EP at night but sadly have work tomorrow so an early night beckons.

Steve

20191201_160127.jpg

20191201_155732.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Agree nice kit.
I really like my Lunt Herschel Wedge too.
You may in time get the 'urge' to buy a Solar Continuum filter,
when active shows more detail and all in a fetching Green hue.

To be honest I should have got it now but will need to wait until after xmas.

• Like 1

Nice report - glad it's all working well for you :icon_biggrin:

I guess you know this but in case you dont, if you rotate the eyepiece (loosen the set screw holding it to do this) the polarising filter roatates too and that controls the amount of light that comes though. My setup (same as yours) varies between a bit too bright (though not hurting in any way) and a little too dim so finding a position where the image is the "right" brightness is straightforward.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, John said:

Nice report - glad it's all working well for you :icon_biggrin:

I guess you know this but in case you dont, if you rotate the eyepiece (loosen the set screw holding it to do this) the polarising filter roatates too and that controls the amount of light that comes though. My setup (same as yours) varies between a bit too bright (though not hurting in any way) and a little too dim so finding a position where the image is the "right" brightness is straightforward.

Hi John, yes did that but for some reason couldn't get it quite dim enough. It was not uncomfortable but found that I lacked detail. When I added the 25% moon filter to the EP as well it made it a little better.