NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Software for computer control of HEQ5

PatG

Hi All

Getting back into Astronomy after 5 year hiatus.

I am looking for advice and recommendations for the best software for windows laptop to control a new Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro goto mount.  

I'm am planning to use this for video astronomy and would like to operate the mount remotely / from inside the house. Also is it possible to do this via a wi-fi type arrangement to negate trailing leads etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  

I have two set-ups....

My HEQ5 for solar is located on the balcony and connected to the indoor laptop using 5 Mtr extensions - the power (at 15V), the Synscan controller, the focus motor, the tuning motor and the camera.

Works well.

I also have a NEQ6 pro in the observatory, connected back via a local laptop and Cat 6 cable (Teamviewer) to the office.

I use EQmod / ASCOM/ CdC to control the NEQ6 - this arrangement may work for you using an extended cable and powered USB hub.

Don't know anything about WiFi connections - sorry.

Yes it is possible to do remote connections via Wifi - however

1. Wifi is slower and has larger latency - i.e. wired is best. So look to running a rj45 wire if poss but if you must go Wifi:-

2. If you are going to use Wifi use your phone to test the signal you get where you get will be - there are plenty of free app's to give you an idea. What works for one does not mean it will work for you - there are a lot of variables which depend on your site/hardware.

3. Get decent Wifi extenders if your signal is weak ,preferably outside versions,they will cost you more but will be worth it. Search SGL for Gina's set up for Wifi kit and costs.

4. Do not use Power over Ethernet they can be very troublesome IMO/experience.

5. Try to use 5ghz Wifi (std 802.11ac ) but be warned it doesn't like long distances but doesn't get the interference that 2.4ghz does. Again depends on your site.  full info here https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/30/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/#604fe0ae3957

6. Remote desktop software will work over WiFi but for extreme 4k resolution you will need highest speed and signal - everyone else we dont have a problem.

7. The best solution is to use your laptop and  1 mini pc . The Mini would normally sit on the top of your scope (or side of pier) and just remote desktop from you laptop to the Mini. All software required for Astro /mount/camera control etc  will be on the Mini so cables will be short except for power. Cost varying greatly for Windows 10 Mini Pc's - £150+. Again search SGL for people's experiences.  

If you would consider Non Windows then Raspberry Pi 4(4gb version/fan/case £100ish) with Astroberry(free) or Stellarmate (not free) will give you a complete software set up - just add cables and power. But its a steep learning curve for some (isn't all new software difficult at first!) though its not difficult. You can still use your Windows Laptop to connect to the Raspberry.

Hi All

Struggling to get the HEQ5 mount linked up to the laptop.

Questions:

1) Is it better to connect via the SynScan hand controller or direct to the mount - is this via USB connection or the RJ12

2) I'm confused about which Ascom and EQmod software downloads / drivers to use. I have tried several but these have not worked

3) What planetarium software is compatible / recommended

Any advice /guidance much appreciated

Pat

2 hours ago, PatG said:

Hi All

Struggling to get the HEQ5 mount linked up to the laptop.

Questions:

1) Is it better to connect via the SynScan hand controller or direct to the mount - is this via USB connection or the RJ12

2) I'm confused about which Ascom and EQmod software downloads / drivers to use. I have tried several but these have not worked

3) What planetarium software is compatible / recommended

Any advice /guidance much appreciated

Pat

1. Imho eqmod not synscan - eqmod tried and tested on heq5. Synscan isn't bad though and can still use ascom 

2 You have to load both Ascom (first) then EQMOD *** - this https://ascom-standards.org/Downloads/Index.htm (right hand side) make sure it installs ok. Restart pc if you want. Then EQASCOM https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/EQASCOM/ .   ***Read the Pre-Requ first and make suite your PC meets the details.

3. Take your pick CDC(Skycharts) is the easiest to install and interface with Ascom/EQMOD but maybe not as pretty graphics as Stellarium. Plus many others just as good - HNSKY, NINA. Stellarium needs another bit of software called Stellarium Scope but I beleive there is a new version being tested that does away with Stellarium Scope (at last)

4. You choose the HEQ5/6 driver when you are presented with the Ascom choice menu - it is Skycharts and other software that load Ascom/Eqmod not you. Search SGJ there are some picture by picture instructions.   Ascom is called first and you choose EQMOD ascom HEQ5/6 "Driver" and this pops up the EQMOD set up - thats where you choose the COM port (or let eqmod autoscan). As I say there are plenty of details on SGL.

5. The HEQ5 needs a EQDIR (TTL to USB) adaper - The USB end is inserted into the PC this creates a NEW COM port so check before you insert and the new one is the one you use in the EQMOD setup (4). HEQ5 has a RJ45 port so that is where you plug the other end of the EQDIR cable/adapter - you need to order one that fits your mount - Ask FLO

So dont try and start anything from Ascom or EQMOD(EQASOM) let the Shycharts (and others ) do that for you. P.S. For Skychart you need to say you are using ASCOM via the Telescope/Telescope settings menu.