Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help align

Hi everyone I have a opticstar az90 goto Mount I put my my location ie 004:11 50.22 in and pick 3 star alignment do all this it says alignment successful I then choose say m32 and telescope mount slews no where near what I choose what ami doing wrong the mount is level it’s really frustrating me  

Hello Tom, welcome to Stargazers Lounge.

I don't have your mount but are you sure about the co-ordinates of your location? 

It decodes as near Aibes, in northern France. 

If that is where you are, then how accurately are you pointing north in the home position?

Just checking your input details are correct, are you using the American format for the date?

How accurate is your polar alignment? 

When you do the star alignment, are you absolutely sure you are on the correct alignment stars?

Carole 

Edited by carastro

1 hour ago, almcl said:

Hello Tom, welcome to Stargazers Lounge.

I don't have your mount but are you sure about the co-ordinates of your location? 

It decodes as near Aibes, in northern France. 

If that is where you are, then how accurately are you pointing north in the home position?

Only if the coordinates are 004 11 E  50  22 N. 004 11 W 50 22 N puts the OP in Plymouth. 

@Tom g check that you have the coordinates, date and time in the correct format for your mount  + DST off/on. Read the manual, the coordinate system used by the handset appears to be unconventional, The coordinates for Plymouth would be 356 (ish), 50 22 

OpticStar AZ90 manual

1 hour ago, Tom g said:

I’ve picked Betelgeuse and it was in the West and the mount slewed and stopped in the south

Are you quite sure of your alignment stars?

For your location in northern France, Betelgeuse doesn't get into the west until around  06.30 GMT.  It doesn't pass the meridian (due south) until 02.30.  

4 minutes ago, Tom g said:

I’m in the uk not France and this was a few months the ago when I did this and the start is correct as I was trying to photograph the Orion Nebula so used Betelgeuse as a alignment star 

If you are in Plymouth then the coordinates you gave in the first post are incorrect for the OpticStar Az90.  The OpticStar mount uses a coordinate system based on how many degrees east of the meridian you are.  In your case 004 11 becomes 355 49. I know, crazy. :icon_scratch: