Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2.1x42 wide-field binoculars

Geoffw

There is an advert on p15 o December's Sky at Night for Omegon 2.1x42 wide-field binoculars.  Anyone had experience of using them? For a pair of old and tired eyes like mine they sound a possible investment or an idea for a Christmas present!

spacer.png

I have a pair of the Vixen ones, but the Omegon ones appear almost identical, maybe made by the same manufacturer, and I'm quite pleased with them, they enable you to view whole constellations, and see stars a couple of magnitudes fainter the can be seen with the naked eye.

John 

+1 for john's comment above.

I have the Vixen version.

Quirky little things. Great for a grab and look. Good to take on holiday - being small.

Note you need your eyeball quite close to the glass. Definitely no specs.
If you have only a long/short correction (not astigmatism) then you can take it up with focus.

HTH, David.

I wrote a review of the Vixen model back in 2014, which is on the link. The Omegon appear very similar so will give you a good idea what to expect. I also detail how the optical system works and tested them with glasses to see how they perform if you need to ear them.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2014/10/25/vixen-sg-2-1x42-binoculars-review/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments folks.  Treated myself to a pair of the Omegon 2.1x42's and was a bit peeved when they arrived four days before I saw them on the Astroshop's website 20 euros cheaper in their Black Friday sale.  I did have a little grumble at the Astroshop to no avail!  I didn't even get a little bag of sweets either!!!