Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CCD inspector images

26 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

That is good - very good.

CCDI always over exagerates curvature so to have so little visible it is very, very good. The image confirms that too.

Thanks David.  I have read up a bit on it and it says to try to get an image without nebulosity in it, so I'll maybe fire off a few shorter subs later on this evening.  This was my second time collimating any sort of scope, and my first time with a fast reflector.

Hi Adam,  I'm not into the super technical stuff  when it comes to imaging ....  for the moment at least.   I really should  try to scramble my egg shaped stars at bit better....  🥚 

This might be a stupid question but could CCDI  actually detect curvature off of the sensor chip itself.  That is,  the slight tilts and warps due to the manufacturing and installation process at the factory. 

Is there a control routine  or a mask that  can measure this without getting an optical system involved  ?   Otherwise, if you cannot eliminate this possibility from your results you run the risk of starting to correct  (optically)  something which isn't part of that  telescope's optical system and maybe cannot be successfully corrected.

Does this makes sense  !!  🥴... or am I creating an issue which just does not exist ?

Sean.

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

This was my second time collimating any sort of scope, and my first time with a fast reflector.

Well if that was just your first attempt then you have definitely got 'the knack' !!!

If I had got that report from CCDI for a fast reflector I would leave it well alone and enjoy using it!!!

ATB David

34 minutes ago, Craney said:

Hi Adam,  I'm not into the super technical stuff  when it comes to imaging ....  for the moment at least.   I really should  try to scramble my egg shaped stars at bit better....  🥚 

This might be a stupid question but could CCDI  actually detect curvature off of the sensor chip itself.  That is,  the slight tilts and warps due to the manufacturing and installation process at the factory. 

Is there a control routine  or a mask that  can measure this without getting an optical system involved  ?   Otherwise, if you cannot eliminate this possibility from your results you run the risk of starting to correct  (optically)  something which isn't part of that  telescope's optical system and maybe cannot be successfully corrected.

Does this makes sense  !!  🥴... or am I creating an issue which just does not exist ?

Sean.

It makes sense! For example the CCD chip isn’t perpendicular to the camera optical axis ie tilted.

6 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Well if that was just your first attempt then you have definitely got 'the knack' !!!

If I had got that report from CCDI for a fast reflector I would leave it well alone and enjoy using it!!!

ATB David

Thanks David. It was a bit scary as the secondary moved freely in my hand 😭 the Tak collimating tube and EP really helped.