Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Wow Pic.

barkis

I have just seen a picture of The Flaming Star Nebula. IC405, (SH2-229) taken by a guy called Jan Rek.

I saw it via a link on the Maxim forum, so I guess guys like SteveL will have seen it too.

An An LRGB image 80-80-80-80 in 10 minute subs of this object in Auriga. I just think it was superb.

I did not wish to flout any protocol rules by placing the link, and I don't want to imply any disrespect to SGL.

I just had to say it, it is such a beautiful image. I'm not a traitor honest. :oops:

Ron. :D

Actually, thats an incredibly interesting area, for both the MakNewt closeup on IC405 by itself, but also wider for the Hyperstar to catch the whole "tail" and also IC410 next to it. Mostly an Ha target (especially right now with the moon), but certainly something to look at next time the new moon comes round for some decent RGB time as well.

Well I've no doubt It will be a belter If and when you do get a go at it.

I should have paid more attention to the equipment list of Jan Rek, and the altitude he was imaging at. Very remiss of me there. :laughing2:

Ron.

Super Wow! ok i've just got it1 the star looks like it's smoldering (hence it's name) but what is the smoldering stuff coming off it?

It isn't actually pouring out of the star Davo. The nebula is a mix of Emission (Red), and reflection (Blue). The blue reflecting the starlight. The area is stellar birthplace, from which stars form. A popular cluster showing blue reflection Nebula. is the Pleiades. You see this in long exposure images of the Pleiades M45, superb examples of which can be found in the Imaging /Deep Sky/ section of SGL. Someone may enlarge on my description, which is a simple explanation of what you are seeing in this Image.

Ron. :D

Archived