NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M54 adapter problem

I'm trying to get a 2" nosepiece onto the front of my camera.  I currently have a M54 x 0.75 male thread on the face of the camera.  I also have an old 2" nosepiece which also has a m54 male thread.  So I'm looking for  a M54 x 0.75 Female - Female adapter  ( or a threaded tube might be a simpler description).

I cannot find it anywhere on the internet.

Does anyone know where I can find one?

A 2" nosepiece with a female thread would do, but I cannot find that either.

I'm hoping that someone will tell me that my internet searching skills are lacking!!!

7 minutes ago, don4l said:

So close....   Unfortunately they are all male-female.  I need F-F.  You would think that it was easy.....

Yeah I edited my post after I noticed the mistake.  Like everything in this hobby - either expensive or compromises. 

11 minutes ago, johninderby said:

So frustrating when you just want a simple adapter. Found a US company that could make one up but you’d be looking at about £150.00.or more imported. 🙀🤬

Precise parts? I’ve an invoice for two adapters for the Tak by them at $337 without paying import tax as well 😮

Edited by tooth_dr

59 minutes ago, johninderby said:

If that T2 extender was available as M54, then I would be in business!

I'm already resigned to needing two "bits".  I've already got 6 (yes 6) 2" nosepieces, only one of which will ever be used in the future!   This is madness!

One of the nosepieces has an adapter to a male 42mm (T2?) thread.  So, I will see if I can find a Female 42mm to Female 54mm adapter. 

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Precise parts? I’ve an invoice for two adapters for the Tak by them at $337 without paying import tax as well 😮

This is to image at F8 on the Tak.  I'm not sure that I will do it very often, so it seems a bit silly to spend too much. 

My plans for longer focal length are up in the air at the moment.  I used a Tal200 earlier in the spring, and I got on much better with it than I expected.  However, I do need to do a bit more playing around before I settle on anything.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Might be worth contacting Telescope Express and ask them if they could make up an adapter for you.

Why didn't I think of that?

As it happens, I bought the camera from them.  I also ended up exchanging e-mails with the owner.

I'll send him ane-mail in the morning.  I'll report back.  Thank you!

Just now, don4l said:

If that thread goes the whole way through, then I would only need one of them!

It's a pity that you cannot phone FLO. 

OK l have the sx filter wheel with this type of adapter the thread is 6mm in length on mine, guess just the one would work! 

Peter 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Astrobits said:

Have you tried SRB PHOTOGRAPHIC  in Dunstable. They used to make 1 offs of adaptors to customer specs. 

Nigel 

I've had a look at their website.  At the moment, @whipdry's suggestion looks good - something off the shelf is less likely to be problematical. I'm going to measure up and have a close look tonight.  I have a feeling that 6mm will be all I need.

On 30/10/2019 at 11:09, Astrobits said:

Have you tried SRB PHOTOGRAPHIC  in Dunstable. They used to make 1 offs of adaptors to customer specs. 

Nigel 

I have measured things up and I would prefer 8-10mm of thread.  6mm would probably work, but .....

I called SRB, and they quoted me a very reasonable price, but they are very busy at the moment, and it will take 3-4 weeks.  I'm going to have a closer look tonight at my bits to try to figure out how 6mm would work. 

I just ordered a custom made adapter from Telescope Express to adapt a focuser to a scope. Expensive ar €85 but no alterative really as it’s one of their focusers with a non standard size fitting. Will take three weeks or more. 

I think that I'll give SRB a go.  I ordered my last adapters from TS, but the shipping was €16.

I've had another look at the camera and nosepiece, and I think that I need at least 8mm - so I'll go for a 10mm and have a bit spare.