Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone looking to buy a child a telescope for xmas?

Not going to be very good for astronomy but for a really cheap spotting scope? . 🤔

Blue coated lenses??? 

Features

• Blue coloured coated lenses for crisper, brighter images and also clearer contrasts
  • Rubber coating
  • Reversible eyecups
  • 156 cm tripod
  • Magnification: 20-60 times
  • Lens Diameter: 60 mm
  • Exit pupil: 2.8 - 0.95 mm
  • View angle: 1.6° - 0.8°
  • Field of View: at 1000 m: 28 m (20x) - 14 m (60x)

EEB1072E-688B-40F7-931A-04197B9FCC28.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

31 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Not going to be very good for astronomy but for a really cheap spotting scope? . 🤔

Blue coated lenses??? 

Features

• Blue coloured coated lenses for crisper, brighter images and also clearer contrasts
  • Rubber coating
  • Reversible eyecups
  • 156 cm tripod
  • Magnification: 20-60 times
  • Lens Diameter: 60 mm
  • Exit pupil: 2.8 - 0.95 mm
  • View angle: 1.6° - 0.8°
  • Field of View: at 1000 m: 28 m (20x) - 14 m (60x)

EEB1072E-688B-40F7-931A-04197B9FCC28.jpeg

Yes i wondered about blue. Rose tinted would be better.  I started with a little monocular spent ages looking ar the moon through them.  I think i will get one just for a kick around. Probably ok for bird spotting.  🤓

Edited by Mark Daniels

Found this little review of the Aldi spotting scope.

“I have one that I bought some years ago, not sure if the current ones are similar. Based on mine though, if you have ever looked through a decent scope then you may find it frustrating to use (focusing was tricky) and the view is very dark and 'mushy', which didn't help, but that said for £25 it's actually quite surprising how usable it is in decent light (towards the low side of the zoom range at least!) and if you really only can afford £25 then it might be ok, though I rarely used mine and bought a good compact scope when I could afford it, which was like night and day in comparison!

I took mine to Titchwell and struggled on the lagoon on a dingy day, the birds all blurred together into a mass of grey fuzz and when the RSPB volunteer let me look through his Swarovski (admittedly like comparing a trabant to a ferrari!) I realised how poor my scope was... I didn't use it again. I had been happy to use it in good light on my local reservoir before that though, you just have to realise that these things are only £25 and you can't expect to use them how you would with a more expensive scope - checking out birds at great distance or in low light is going to be very difficult and frustrating.“

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1