Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Awsome Skies in Morwenstow

Rob

So I've just returned from a week away in Morwenstow North Cornwall. We stayed in a converted barn with all the mod cons, set in a old beamed built building plus a rather nice log burner and no broadband :) . It was fairly remote ith high elevation, no broadband and all water from a borehole pumped from underground! And most importantly absolutely no lights to be seen for miles in all directions!.  

I had observing sessions on both Tuesday night, and then after grabbing 4 hours sleep. Wednesday morning. And then to my delight a short (but sweet) session on Thursday night.

The skies were a flood of Stars, it had been a while since being under such a site. The double cluster (in good detail) was visual by eye, and the milky way was so bright right across the sky. I took the Revelation ED80 and the motor driven EQ5, sure a simple setup.. but boy it delivered!. To be honest I was so flooded for choice of targets. I just ended up star hopping from one side of the sky to the other pulling in the all the photons I could. The seeing was very good, and everything just sparkled everywhere. Sure being out in the middle of the country side made it quite chilly, but that was not stopping me.

Night 1 = 4 Hours of east to west targets from horizon to horizon + 4 Meteors

Morning 2 = a further 1.5 hours to sunrise to continue the evening before sweep

Night 3 = 3 hours of random targets across the whole sky, plus visually gazing at the milky way and soaking it in.

Such an amazing 3 sessions. Not only was I recharged from work, but fired up with such excitement once again.

Rob

• Like 2

@Rob Shhhhhh! Don't tell 'em all or they'll all want to come here! 🙂  These are I think Bortle class 3 skies. Bortle 2 a bit further north. 

Tuesday night was indeed pretty good. I finally gave in at about 2:30 am. I didn't manage the early morning shift as well.  

Mind you, the rain and wind on Friday and Friday night were quite spectacular as I recall.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

@Rob Shhhhhh! Don't tell 'em all or they'll all want to come here! 🙂  These are I think Bortle class 3 skies. Bortle 2 a bit further north. 

Tuesday night was indeed pretty good. I finally gave in at about 2:30 am. I didn't manage the early morning shift as well.  

Mind you, the rain and wind on Friday and Friday night were quite spectacular as I recall.  

Oh no!.. sorry cats out the bag now!. Such a really great place mind.

The skies last week just blew me away, and lucked out for a change!. You are so lucky!. Yes indeed, Friday night was rough.. and we traveled back on Saturday morning (A39 to A303) through really flooded roads.

Rob

@OuroborosSo I have an image of the scope ready for action at 8.30am Tuesday morning, followed by a shot at 7.09am Wednesday morning after bringing the scope back in... an Observing session that's etched in the memory now

IMG_3089.JPG

IMG_3094.JPG

• Like 1