TS Optics Photoline 115mm APO

Hi,

Thinking of treating myself to a new refractor at the moment. I think I will be going for the William Optics Zenithstar 103.

However, another scope has got my attention - TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 115mm f/7 Triplet APO.

The description of this scope, says it’s objective is made up of two special glasses, lanthanum and FPL51, claiming to be comparable with a FPL53 Triplet objective.

Does anyone on SGL know how good this scope is?

I suppose I am suffering from the greed for a “little bit more” aperture . DSO Imaging is my main aim. 

Grateful for any feedback.

Regards,

Steve

It's the same as meade 115 triplet I got the meade 130 6000 series the bigger brother.

Its 51 glass not 53 so its not the same however it us very very good I think u will like it. It gives like near perfect views just as good.

The focuser us good too.

I would get the 115 over the 103 anyday

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

36 minutes ago, PembrokeSteve said:

Hi,

Thinking of treating myself to a new refractor at the moment. I think I will be going for the William Optics Zenithstar 103.

However, another scope has got my attention - TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 115mm f/7 Triplet APO.

The description of this scope, says it’s objective is made up of two special glasses, lanthanum and FPL51, claiming to be comparable with a FPL53 Triplet objective.

Does anyone on SGL know how good this scope is?

I suppose I am suffering from the greed for a “little bit more” aperture . DSO Imaging is my main aim. 

Grateful for any feedback.

Regards,

Steve

No question about it I would go with the TS Photoline 115mm F7 out of those options anyhow, its a great scope and better corrected than the ZS103 from what I have seen. Its the same optic as the Altair Astro 115.

Adam

Edited by Adam J

I had a 115mm advertised as the same 6-7 years ago but as far as I can recall several changes have been made to new model though I feel this is mainly in the area of the focuser, the objective in the one I had here was good, very good in fact, good value I would say.

Alan

Hi,

Many thanks for your advice, which is much appreciated.

The  TS Optics 115 APO is definitely a scope which I am very tempted to go for. TS Optics look like they offer superb quality scopes.

However, what amuses me is the various differences in price from various Astronomical Retailers, for what is basically the SAME telescope OTA.  Are we being ripped off by  some Astro Retailers, who are rebranding OTA,s with their retail name ?

I suppose it is best to go for the cheapest deal, as it is basically the same OTA in a different brand disguise.

(ie) these are basically the same scopes:-

Altair Astro  (from Altair Astro) 115 APO - £1,699,00

Technosky 115 APO (from The Widescreen Centre) - £1,499.00

TS Optics 115 APO ( from Astroshop.eu) £1,170.00 (their reduced price currently on offer) - I might go for this !

Regards,

Steve

I have the Zenithstar 103. Its a fine instrument and is fairly light and portable and works fine on a small mount like an AZ4. The focuser is OK but not brilliant.

For the same price (£1170) I would go for the triplet. They were 1800 euro when I was looking around so that price you quoted  is a great deal. It even cheaper than the 102mm version at the moment. Go for it.

Edited by Limerick John