6x30 Finder - RACI and erect image versions

I bought a raci 6x30 finder but discovered it was in fact a mirror image, not a correct image.

The description had said "......Sky-Watcher s right-angle finderscopes provides an upright image with completely corrected left / right image orientation..."

I will try to get a refund but my question is does a raci version really exist. I've looked at a few retailers and some others do say correct left/right image but are they mistaken also? Some are called erect image finders which I have deduced to mean upright but left/right reversed.

I just bought a SW 6x30 raci from Rother Valley - after struggling with various rdfs for the past few years, I’m absurdly pleased with it - best of all, when you adjust the alignment screws, the finderscope actually moves where you want it to! A whole new experience for me. 

Sarcasm aside, it’s a great little thing. No sore neck and nice correct image.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. 365 are at the international astronomy show so I'll put this on my show shopping list and hopefully pick one up from there.

I made the mistake of buying this from a random eBay shop/seller who probably doesn't understand the distinction.

I currently use a 9x50 raci plus telrad set up. The 6x30 raci finder is to be part of my cunning plan for the perfect travel set up, to be paired up with a rigel  or rdf so that I have the same fundamental finder set up that I am already used to but smaller and lighter all round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paz said:

I bought a raci 6x30 finder but discovered it was in fact a mirror image, not a correct image.

The description had said "......Sky-Watcher s right-angle finderscopes provides an upright image with completely corrected left / right image orientation..."

I will try to get a refund but my question is does a raci version really exist. I've looked at a few retailers and some others do say correct left/right image but are they mistaken also? Some are called erect image finders which I have deduced to mean upright but left/right reversed.

I have 3 of the RACI Skywatchers so they do exist. The key is the shape of the prism housing - the RACI ones have a cut off shape wheras the inverting (but not RACI) type have a full diagonal shaped prism housing. Pics to illustrate:

RACI:

image.png.1cb2a108a373deb4e0473d4db06c5b8c.png

Inverted image but non-RACI:

image.png.585d25d395cbd705f5914fa0e4356857.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, John said:

I have 3 of the RACI Skywatchers so they do exist. The key is the shape of the prism housing - the RACI ones have a cut off shape wheras the inverting (but not RACI) type have a full diagonal shaped prism housing. Pics to illustrate:

RACI:

image.png.1cb2a108a373deb4e0473d4db06c5b8c.png

Inverted image but non-RACI:

image.png.585d25d395cbd705f5914fa0e4356857.png

Thanks, I see what you men about the cut off on the diagonal body.