NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder scope bracket

9 minutes ago, John said:

Is it the finder bracket that is attached to the scope that you want to replace or the one that holds the finder scope ?

I have 2 or 3 finder scopes and none of them will fit the finder bracket that is attached to the OTA. I am just looking for the best way to attach a finder scope as I don’t seem to be able to locate one with the right fitting.

I think the Meade finder shoe is the same as the white Bresser one in this photo. You want a Skywarcher type finder shoe like one of the black ones. You might need to drill one new mounting hole as the Skywatcher mounting holes are closer together I think.

D266F132-32E7-4FA6-9110-34CDF5F446A9.jpeg

I replaced the finder bracket on a couple of Meade refractors that I used to own. I did need to remove the focuser in both cases to be able to get to the nuts on the small screws that hold the bracket in place.

I found that the SCT type vixen / skywatcher compatible finder bracket bolted on using the existing holes in the tube so no drilling was required. This is what the bracket looked like that I found fitted (it is the bottom one in this picture):

image.png.453e2d6922d6262bd7d9d7ca5f649e8a.png