SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Does my ZWO camera have a shutter?

Ok. I know this might seem like a daft question. But I am genuinly in doubt.

I have this camera: ZWO ASI 385MC USB 3.0 Colour Camera.

It says it has a "rolling shutter". I'm not sure what that is. In my mind I am picturing a spinning cylinder with a hole in it that blocks the light from getting to the sensor. Except when the hole is aligned with the sensor and the aperture, then it lets light through.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is that when I set my Stellarmate up for "automatic darks" it asks if my camera has a shutter. And I am unsure if a 'rolling shutter' qualifies as such.

Anyone?

None of the ZWO cameras have a physical shutter, a rolling shutter is simply as type of electronic shutter that controls how the photo sites are read.

So the answer is no for stellarmate.

Edited by Adam J
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Adam J said:

None of the ZWO cameras have a physical shutter, a rolling shutter is simply as type of electronic shutter that controls how the photo sites are read.

So the answer is no for stellarmate.

I was afraid the reply would be something like "yes, ofcourse a rolling shutter is a shutter. D'uh"!

So now I feel less daft for asking since it wasn't so obvious afterall :). Thanks, Adam.

3 hours ago, George Gearless said:

It says it has a "rolling shutter". I'm not sure what that is. In my mind I am picturing a spinning cylinder with a hole in it that blocks the light from getting to the sensor. Except when the hole is aligned with the sensor and the aperture, then it lets light through.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is that when I set my Stellarmate up for "automatic darks" it asks if my camera has a shutter. And I am unsure if a 'rolling shutter' qualifies as such.

Anyone?

The reason SM asks the question is some cameras such as DSLR and Atik 383L+ and other KAF8300 sensor cameras do have a physical shutter... 😀👍

3 hours ago, George Gearless said:

Anyone?

Rolling shutters are a feature of interline type sensors, and shutters are used for full frame transfer sensors. Its all about the speed of which the image is read from the sensor (interline = fast, full frame = slow)

http://www.optique-ingenieur.org/en/courses/OPI_ang_M05_C06/co/Contenu_07.html

http://www.optique-ingenieur.org/en/courses/OPI_ang_M05_C06/co/Contenu_09.html

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WanderingEye said:

The reason SM asks the question is some cameras such as DSLR and Atik 383L+ and other KAF8300 sensor cameras do have a physical shutter... 😀👍

Once I've figured out what cable to get for my Canon DSLR, I'll definately be trying it out in combination with my SM. But I have yet to give my newly aquired 385MC a propper run. So, first things first.

Guess I'll be taking my darks the old fashioned way :).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Rolling shutters are a feature of interline type sensors, and shutters are used for full frame transfer sensors. Its all about the speed of which the image is read from the sensor (interline = fast, full frame = slow)

http://www.optique-ingenieur.org/en/courses/OPI_ang_M05_C06/co/Contenu_07.html

http://www.optique-ingenieur.org/en/courses/OPI_ang_M05_C06/co/Contenu_09.html

Was worried that those links were some realy nerdy [removed word] that would go over my head. But they were actualy quite informative and interesting. In fact, that whole site looks worth perusing a bit more. So thanks for that, Uranium.