Aperture Fever.

Over the last few years I have changed my telescopes for smaller, manageable size telescopes. But aperture Fever is knocking on the door. I have a lovely eight inch F4. 5 Newtonian which gives nice views. I was tempted buy a larger Newtonian. But tube length would be an issue perhaps. Last winter I looked at the Orion Nebula through a Celestron C 11. I thought that the view was fantastic. I know that the C11's are usually fork mounted and the combined weight would be too much for my liking. But I am thinking of the possibility of mounting a C11 on my Altair Sabre and counter weights for purely visual. Would this setup work? Any thoughts would be welcome. 

Edited by Guest
Add text.

From my short experience of the Sabre mount (a mk II) I don't think it would make a good mount for a C11 in all honesty. It would hold the scope (ie not break) but the long focal length and narrow field of view will make actually using it to observe a chore I think. The new AZ100 might do the trick though :smiley:

• Haha 1

A Skytee2 should cope nicely with your scopes, and give you better control. I picked up a great 2nd hand one up the other weekend like new. I’ve gone back to a Skytee2 (sold the previous one earlier on this year) from a Sabre mount, mostly as I miss the slow mo control on the mount. Currently using my Skywatcher 10” newt on the mount with either one of my 2 ‘fracs (short and long). The AZ-100 John mentions looks great, but comes at quite a price it seems once it gets released after John’s testing is done.

• Like 1