NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7331 + Stephan's Quintet more data added

fwm891

22 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Captured the Galaxies nicely Francis,but somehow the background does.nt look quite right!!

Mick.

I tried adding a mask and desaturating the background due to uneven casts. Should have tried some noise reduction whilst I had the mask in place.

8 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

I tried adding a mask and desaturating the background due to uneven casts. Should have tried some noise reduction whilst I had the mask in place.

Never too late?  I tried this just using the luminosity layer as a mask... (hope you don't mind)

NGC7331StQuintet_clone.jpg.af7af9056da81c01d497732dabddedd2.jpg

Really interested in knowing the scope, camera, and exposures.

It's so much better than a recent one of mine in this area, but that was only 28 minutes!

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a nice image! 

I agree with the comments on the noise reduction but the unevenness of the background brings up an interesting question. 

Point is that there is quite some IFN in the area as can be seen here: https://www.astrobin.com/316608/ (not my image).

It brings up an artistic question whether you want to show that or even put emphasis in the IFN. Most people (including me) tend to darken the background and kill the IFN (for the most part).

In telling a visual story, there needs to be a subject that is recognisable.  And sometimes leaving elements out (in this case IFN, but it can also be through cropping) gives a stronger composition and a clearer image.

I have seen imagers presenting images where there is a mist of IFN with some galaxies shining through. A valid artistic decision of course, but I generally am not in love with those images. Now, if we are talking of dusty regions in the milky way, like the Iris Nebula..then yes. I love the whisps of chocolate coloured dust clouds.

Just an opinion, of course....

Edited by Annehouw
  • Like 3