NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ASIair with other cameras

I like the idea of the ASIair, but I already have my cameras.  These are Altair Astro units, but in each case they use the same sensors as an equivalent ZWO camera.  Since their pixel geometry will be the same, can I fool the ASIair into thinking it has ZWO cameras attached?

Anybody actually tried this?

Unless you want the additional features such as connectivity to mobile devices, Stellar Mate may do what you want.  Otherwise I have wondered myself if it might be possible to take an ASIair and install the INDI drivers (and libraries, where appropriate) for other devices and have it "just work", or if there's other stuff that would need to be changed to enable them.

What you propose won't work though I don't think.  Each of the drivers/libraries recognises the cameras (and other devices) attached to the system using the USB vendor and product IDs presented when the USB device is enabled so you need the correct ones installed.  The Kstars/EKOS front end doesn't actually care (nor probably even know) the actual details of the hardware installed.  It just uses INDI to find out the properties of each device and deals with it regardless of resolution, bit depth etc.

James

Hi,

I have a Mac Mini (Small form PC) running Windows 10 stored in a plastic container and use Microsoft Remote Desktop to connect tot it from the iPhone / iPad / iMac.

Its been flawless so far - You just need to be on the same wireless network. I did look at these ASIair but I have a DSLR and this seems more compatible and powerful.

I wouldn't go back to using a laptop outside anymore thats for sure :)

Good Hunting!

Clear Skies,

Murray

On 02/10/2019 at 07:39, Rattler said:

Interesting as I'm thinking of the same thing. Selling my Altair guide cameras and going to Zwo to use the ASIair.

Can you use a mobile or tablet using indigosky and APT?

I was using the APT to indigosky bridge but indigosky can work on its own via web ui