NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6 Polarscope out of alinement.

Taff

Hi' I am looking for some advice.I don't know if this is a daft question that when i look through the polar scope the cross lines are not crossing in the middle of view they are off centre.At night time if i place the Polar star in the small circle by turning the 3 small screws' would that solve for me Thanks.Mark

I think it's more important that an object (star or something else in daytime) stays on the cross in the centre of the reticule when the RA axis is rotated.  If it does, then adjusting the grub screws is going to mess up the polar scope's alignment.  

There's a video here about aligning the polar scope:

Yes, I agree.  As you suggest, daytime alignment of the polar scope is much easier.  The problem I had was finding an object high enough to see through the polar scope. The declination axis only goes down so far. I had to tip the mount forward by shortening and lengthening different tripod legs.   I did find that the polar scope on my newly bought AZ-EQ6 mount was misaligned. Frankly I think that's unacceptable for something so expensive. 

3 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

... I did find that the polar scope on my newly bought AZ-EQ6 mount was misaligned. Frankly I think that's unacceptable for something so expensive ...

I agree, but it seems to be ubiquitous.

I now have 3 polar scopes, one on each of my Astrotrac, AZ-EQ6 and lately on my EQ35M. They have all come out of the box severely misaligned, and, worse in my view, all 3 with serious parallax. I have fixed these problems on all of them, but the one on the AZ-EQ6 was cemented into the mount and its individual components cemented together, and took huge effort and courage to remove from the mount and to adjust to fix the parallax. As you say, unacceptable.