Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ross lighthouse telescope

I was recently given this old Ross telescope that was used in the lighthouse service for identifying vessels.

As can be seen from the pictures it has suffered a severe blow at some point in it's life. It has a fixed wooden tripod stand and the telescope mount is missing. 

Whilst I can envisage what the mount might look like it would be great to get a picture. My google searches so far have not come up with anything. I can see light when I shine a torch at the end so hopefully it might be functional. Based on the piece of gal sheet that was on the mounting bolts I am hoping that it was still functional after it's damage was sustained.

Any info would be much appreciated.

20190912_104549.jpg

20190912_102343.jpg

20190912_103543.jpg

20190912_104252.jpg

20190912_104322.jpg

20190912_104337.jpg

20190912_105619.jpg

• Like 1

As it happens this looks very similar to a large Ross telescope that I own.  I can supply one or two pictures of it on request.  Mine is in immaculate condition asides from not having the original leather covering (I also have the original leather which is in poor condition).   I don't have the original mount. The seller informed me that it originally came via Charles Frank of Glasgow as an astronomical telescope with an equatorial mount and tripod, which I saw but was unable to purchase.

These large Ross appear very occasionally on ebay and I have seen a photograph of a complete one sold as a spotting scope with wooden tripod.  The normal method of attaching the tube may be via a conical sleeve rather than bolts fixed in the tube.  There is no sign of any attachments on mine.

It looks like you have a big job on your hands to repair that main tube.  To encourage you, the optical performance of mine is probably as good as any 70mm scope you can buy today.

If you get it restored it will not be worth a fortune, more like a few hundred pounds.

Brass only gets into that state if it hardened by hammering.
It can be softened again by heating and dunking in water.
Which would harden some steels but not brass.
Restoring such a damaged tube would probably require a matching mandrel and lots of experience.
For a useful repair I'd seek a new main tube in yellow brass. If it can be found in the diameter just behind the cell.
The original looks tapered. You'd need to take a wedge shaped slit out of the new [parallel] brass tube and solder the joint.

Do check that the objective has survived the fall from the top of the lighthouse before spending any time or money. :wink2:

EDIT: DO NOT heat old brass indoors. It can be toxic and causes symptoms like collapsed lungs when I have done it in the past.

Edited by Rusted
Warning!