Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guidscope on a budget idea

Simon Dunsmore

Hi Folks,

So, im slowly pulling kit together for imaging. So far i have tbe Skywatcher ED72, EQ5 goto mount, field flattener and adapters for Canon 1000D.

Next up, guide scope. Now i dont have a laptop so i was looking at the celestron nexguide available for £129. I was wondering if i could use this with a Skywatcher 102, used available for £65. I did look at the celestron 50mm travel scope, super cheap but i cant see how i would attach it.

What do you think, will the scope and camera work as a set up for guiding?

Thanks for your help

Simon

Cheapest solution?

Buy a toy 50mm scope off eBay, fit a 50mm coated doublet from Astromedia, cut down the length of the body to suite (they are 183mm f/l while the originals are usually a fair bit longer) .

Use a t-0.965" adaptor with a suitable camera (I use an ASI 120MC).

2134796798_GuideScope(1).thumb.JPG.e385c473a74f325f12c72fd47068caa1.JPG

1616344807_GuideScope(2).thumb.JPG.96a909b30d481a958434eb341d11d6cd.JPG

This worked fine for me for a couple of years, but I've now made a nicer body and fitted a helical focuser but kept the lens cell.

I have a longer F/.L guide scope for my 150PL which has a 3D printed lens cell, 70mm Astromedia doublet, and a cheap 1.25" focuser of astroboot for about a tenner.

Guidescope.thumb.JPG.41af1cff6c3ebd5beaf3b38849eac02a.JPG

DSCN0200.thumb.JPG.64e84531d42a09fe621e20f33886a6e9.JPG

Hi, 

That looks like a great solution! 

After much hunting around, I picked up a Skywatcher ST80 for £40 never been used. The Celestron Nexguide was on sale at £129 so all I need now is a way to mount the guide scope. 

Can't decide if it's best to go for a rigid fix or adjustable tube rings to allow me to find a suitable star. 

Need to save a few more pennies for these parts but I'm getting there! 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi, 

That looks like a great solution! 

After much hunting around, I picked up a Skywatcher ST80 for £40 never been used. The Celestron Nexguide was on sale at £129 so all I need now is a way to mount the guide scope. 

Can't decide if it's best to go for a rigid fix or adjustable tube rings to allow me to find a suitable star. 

Need to save a few more pennies for these parts but I'm getting there! 

I'm a convert to a rigid fix. I've never failed to get a guide star with a 2s exposure and a f3.5 scope.

• Like 1