NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light ota balance help

I have heq5 pro with evostar 72ed, flattner and dslr. But with this setup the camera makes it alittle back heavy, does anyone have a solution to this? I got a long dovetail bar with the mount but I cannot fit the rings to it so I have to use the dovetail bar that came with the telescope.. 

The threads are also different than the rings that holds the telescope.. 

IMG_20190910_131018.jpg

IMG_20190910_131029.jpg

IMG_20190910_125845.jpg

If you get some screws that fit the long dovetail then you can remove the short one and fit the rings to the new longer dovetail - have the majority of the dovetail towards the back of the scope and you should be able to achieve balance.  In extremis you might have to add a weight at the front. See attached. 

unnamed.jpg

12 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

If you get some screws that fit the long dovetail then you can remove the short one and fit the rings to the new longer dovetail - have the majority of the dovetail towards the back of the scope and you should be able to achieve balance.  In extremis you might have to add a weight at the front. See attached. 

unnamed.jpg

Hmm i have tried different screws but the threads of the dovetail and The rings are complete different so if one screw fits the dovetail it doesnt go into the rings... 

38 minutes ago, Calzune said:

The threads are also different

Hi. On our sw, the thread is on the rings, not the dovetail. The new dovetail needs non threaded holes -which it seems to have-  for the existing screws. Your new dovetail may need counter drilling to accept the screw head or, better, allow the heads to protrude thus providing safety that the telescope does not slide. The thread on the our rings is 1/4 UNC -available here- so metric m6 will not fit. Or just drill out the thread on the rings and use bolts of your choosing.

HTH