NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7000 HOO + SHO

david_taurus83

This is take 1 of my attempt at the North America Nebula. I followed the excellent tutorial on Light Vortex Astronomy to process this. It's a really great tutorial and I've picked up a few tips to use again but I think I focused too much on trying to bring out the OIII signal and the colour has gone a little awry. It could do with more red imo. What I really hope to do is to take some RGB on the stars and figure out how to add them in and try and reduce the OIII halos. Will have another go at processing this again I think. Comments, criticism and tips welcome!

Also, I'd like to say a massive thank you to Adam @tooth_dr who very kindly offered to lend me his Optolong Oiii filter to try out as my own Baader 8.5nm was giving me really bad, large circular halos on the brighter stars. The Optolong filter still produces slight halos but no where near as bad as the Baader. My processing has probably exacerbated them on the other stars as well! Thank you Adam 👍

William Optics GT71 at F4.6 (336mm)

ASI1600MM

31 x 900s Ha Baader 8.5nm

25 x 900s OIII Optolong 6.5nm

14 hours total integration

NGC7000 HOO.jpg

Edited by david_taurus83
SHO added
  • Like 10

Great image David! Worth the perseverance 👍🏻 The close up detail is phenomenal 

Im wondering how does the Optolong compare to the Baader in other aspects. I know you had poor transparency on one night so it might be hard to draw conclusions.

Like I said in the message, feel free to work away with that filter, I can easily work round it.

• Thanks 1

I feel both images are superb, though if I had to pick one the red one would edge it. It is interesting seeing all these different filter and how they donot give like for like results. I always wonder why people pay such large amounts for these Astrodon filters. You have had problems with Baader, a name I thought one could trust, I tend to like Astronomik's though I know nothing. I think if I were to mention the purchase of Astrodon my next port of call may well be a hole in the ground.

Alan

• Like 1

Now with added sulphur!

Captured 5 hours worth of noisy moonlit sulphur data the last 2 nights. Like i said in another thread, sod the moon!

This is my first attempt at 3 channel narrowband I am happy with. Also the longest integration yet:

8 hours Ha

6 hours Oiii

5 hours Sii

Total of 19 hours.

Mapped to SHO, (Sii*1.15, Ha*0.85, Oiii)

2069112215_NGC7000SHO.thumb.jpg.5e4922599b6c6e40de925a462da2e6a8.jpg

• Like 2