Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M33, Crescent and Elephant's Trunk Nebulas from 07-09-19

jonathancd

Just starting to get back into Deep Sky imaging after a gap of only doing very widefield imaging with Camera lenses.  These 3 are from last night.  Each have around 30-40 2 minute exposures at ISO 800 using a modified canon 1000D DSLR and William Optics 66 with 0.8 reducer/flattener.  Unguided images using a Skywatcher AZ-EQ6 mount.

Pretty happy with these as I image from very light polluted NE London Skies so a CLS filter was a must.  Thanks for looking

230028865_M33Galaxywidefield(2).thumb.jpg.dd9aa2c50a3854919bd58d1fee563b64.jpg

451379884_CrescentNebula(2).thumb.jpg.10b89f6a42efa660450199bbd9f8cd6f.jpg

703808751_ElephantsTrunkNebula(2).thumb.jpg.6b114b5168f8220eddb585ed3949ab88.jpg

• Like 6

You should be happy with those! But I see that you suffer from the same condition as myself - the inability to stay on target 😀

Instead of just keeping the camera pointed towards one target I keep trying to catch as many as I can.

For you, especially using an uncooled DSLR and with light pollution, increasing the number of subs will make your data a LOT easier to process. Next time, try to go for at least 80-100 of those subs on a single target and see what that gets you.

I know what you mean, I am terrible at sticking to just one target!  It is very rare I ever manage more than 2 hours on a single target.  Will try to be more patient next time we get a clear moon free night and go for at least 3 hours on a single object.

With stretching the pictures always end up a bit grainy which I mostly put down to the heavy light pollution (bortle 8/9) but I know more time would help too.  Please with these though as they are the first images I have taken through a telescope for 2 and a half years.  I have only been doing widefields for the last few years (mostly 135mm focal length at most) so temptation to do a few targets was too great!

Thanks for the comments

Jonathan

Just now, jonathancd said:

I know what you mean, I am terrible at sticking to just one target!  It is very rare I ever manage more than 2 hours on a single target.  Will try to be more patient next time we get a clear moon free night and go for at least 3 hours on a single object.

With stretching the pictures always end up a bit grainy which I mostly put down to the heavy light pollution (bortle 8/9) but I know more time would help too.  Please with these though as they are the first images I have taken through a telescope for 2 and a half years.  I have only been doing widefields for the last few years (mostly 135mm focal length at most) so temptation to do a few targets was too great!

Thanks for the comments

Jonathan

I like these but especially IC1396!  I used to image with the same 1000d, and found that 8 hours total exposure at ISO800 or ISO1600 was the sweet spot :D  That will go someway to resolving the graininess issues, however I appreciate that you mightnt want to dedicate a whole night to one object.