NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

asiair low voltage

Hi all I was out last night my asiair and a few times a little battery sign at the top right of my tablet flashed up, so i presumed I needed a charge so i plugged it in but battery flashed up again ,turns out it is the asiair saying low voltage .

I was running asiair/eq 5 pro mount eqmod/asi120 mini /asi178 mm/filter wheel , powered with a celestron lipo4 with the 5v 2.1 amp usb .

Anyone else had similar issues ? .

Thanks

15 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Hi all I was out last night my asiair and a few times a little battery sign at the top right of my tablet flashed up, so i presumed I needed a charge so i plugged it in but battery flashed up again ,turns out it is the asiair saying low voltage .

I was running asiair/eq 5 pro mount eqmod/asi120 mini /asi178 mm/filter wheel , powered with a celestron lipo4 with the 5v 2.1 amp usb .

Anyone else had similar issues ? .

Thanks

Did it happen when changing filter? The motor for the filter wheel will have a larger current draw then the rest of that put together I would think. 

Hi Adam will have to try again to pinpoint it ,but that would make sense.

21 minutes ago, Adam J said:

Did it happen when changing filter? The motor for the filter wheel will have a larger current draw then the rest of that put together

As the ASIAIR is basically a Raspberry Pi in fancy clothes, you get similar issues on PI’s when running too much from the USB sockets. It is recommended to use a powered USB hub to connect up if you get this issue. I know i have had it on my Raspberry Pi which I overcame with using a powered USB hub to connect things up to it.

13 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

As the ASIAIR is basically a Raspberry Pi in fancy clothes, you get similar issues on PI’s when running too much from the USB sockets. It is recommended to use a powered USB hub to connect up if you get this issue. I know i have had it on my Raspberry Pi which I overcame with using a powered USB hub to connect things up to it.

Powered usb hub 🤔 not sure how another usb hub is going to improve low power , usb hub is just a splitter.

Just now, Fieldsy said:

Powered usb hub 🤔 not sure how another usb hub is going to improve low power , usb hub is just a splitter.

LOL I just posted a USB hub for sale on here and talked about this exactly. Not all USB hubs are made equal.

1 minute ago, Adam J said:

cant say for sure that's the issue you have but I will say that some USB hubs are utter rubbish and some are not.

I must be having a mind melt or something if I used a usb hub how would the asiair control the devices?

1 minute ago, Fieldsy said:

I must be having a mind melt or something if I used a usb hub how would the asiair control the devices?

Better to ask the guy above, but I assume that you would simply connect one of the USB slots on the ASI Air via a USB A to USB B cable into the input port on the hub then the hub supplies the power to all your different devices as opposed to the ASI Air and it just communicates through it.

Like I say I can promise that's your issue but its a definite possibility.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Rothesian said:

Thinking about getting the ASIair, and wondered if I could power it with a 5V 2.4A battery pack/phone charger.

Already have a LiFePO4 powertank for my mount, and hoping to be totally cordless.

Hi Roth I used the 5v 2.4 a output on my lipo4 and had the low voltage flash up on the asiair app so I now use outxe power bank 5v 3 amp usb out and haven’t had a low voltage warning yet my asiair usb devices are eqmod,2x asi cams,asi filter wheel . Hope that helps