Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD2 - Which mount in "Connect equipment"?

masjstovel

Hi,

I own the SW 150PHD on an EQ5 Mount - Synscan and motors installed seperately, so i guess its an EQ5 Pro now.

I just got the SSAG on an Orion 50mm, and installed PHD2 - the SSAG manual said so.

A couple of questions pop up regarding this.

When adding equipment to my profile in PHD2;

SSAG manual says "Starshoot Autoguider" as CAMERA and "On Camera" as MOUNT.

Youtube says Connect guider straight to the computer, and choose your ASCOM as MOUNT.

1. Which of the above is correct?

So tried to install my ASCOM driver for Sky Watcher EQ-Mounts as they didn't show in PHD2. I just got 3-4 error messages because i didnt have the ASCOM-platform. 
So i installed the ASCOM Platform, and then the Sky Watcher driver and now they show up in PHD2 - It's nice.
So this ASCOM platform (i have just now installed it to install the driver) looks like a program to guide my scope from my computer instead of the hand controller, correct?

2. I Guess the question is; If i use PHD2 for guiding, and choose my ASCOM driver as MOUNT, do i have to put in all Equipment data in the ASCOM platform first, or i just need to in PHD2? 
Like, does the 2 programs talk to each other, or are they completely individual? This is if i for example doesnt want to use the ASCOM platform, just PHD2.

• Like 1

Ok, thank you, i will download it.
But what is it? it looks like a controller in the pictures? I mean I was initially just wanting to setup my mount to PHD2. I'm not familiar with any of these programs. Is EQ mode just a driver or? I seriously feel 80 years old now, but i just dont understand this. I thought a driver was just a file of some sort to make the Connection between X and computer, but these ASCOM and EQMOD look like program Interfaces of some sort? What am i not getting?

36 minutes ago, masjstovel said:

displayed as in PHD2

EQMod mount.

If it doesn't appear in PHD2, then it probably isn't running; start it e.g. from the eqascom ToolBox which was installed alongside. 

Be sure to enter your latitude and longitude correctly.

Loadsa videos to get you going.

HTH.

Edited by alacant

I didn't get any Toolbox with installing from that link you gave me, only a program called ASCOMPAD?

I found this linked to your link under "files":
https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/EQASCOM/

With installing it i got some new drivers in my PHD2 Equipment. Is EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6 or EQMOD_2 ASCOM HEQ5/6 the correct one. I mean i have EQ5 but…? 

I feel like im just installing a bunch of stuff and really dont have a clue of what im doing and why.

image.png.125ce63f623b87ac9e86138ddd670fc3.png

Edited by masjstovel

Hi
Contrary to popular opinion, from a beginner standpoint and quite a lot of seasoned imagers - "On mount" using ST4 cable from guide camera to mount is fine - ASCOM (direct to mount [via handset]) is just another way and *could* make things easier.
PHD2 works with either.

MJ

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rockinrome said:

PHD2 works with either

I think the main reason a beginner would choose the direct connection is that with st4, you have to calibrate the mount each time the telescope is moved; st4 provides PHD2 with no information as to where the telescope is pointing and so it has no way of knowing how to compensate during guide pulses.  It is recommended by the PHD2 devs to use direct (ascom or indi) connections if there is a choice.

Otherwise, I quite agree. st4 works with PHD2:)

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, alacant said:

I think the main reason a beginner would choose the direct connection is that with st4, you have to calibrate the mount each time the telescope is moved; st4 provides PHD2 with no information as to where the telescope is pointing and so it has no way of knowing how to compensate during guide pulses.  It is recommended by the PHD2 devs to use direct (ascom or indi) connections if there is a choice.

Otherwise, I quite agree. st4 works with PHD2:)

Cheers

Agreed Alacant.

:)

MJ

On ‎03‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 07:44, alacant said:

That will do it.

Have a look here.

Nearly there now...

HTH

Got it working last night. Depends on how you define "working", but i got tracking in PHD2, using the ASCOM driver at least.

I did the setup in the "EQMOD toolbox". 

Pressed register (I have to do this every time?) and 2 boxes popped up. "Unexpected error" and "Success"...….. so yeah.. if I wasnt confused from before...

Anyway, then i could do the "Driver Setup" and Connect ASCOM, and further on I could connect my Mount in PHD2. Guiding worked, but its on my porch so i think alot of vibrations on the floor when moving around becuase giuding jumped +/- 8 arc Seconds.

I am wondering how Your workflow is when you're astrophotographeing? 
I bumped in to a problem. I was setting up my PHD2, then i was planning to Connect Scope to my Cartes do Ciel, but i couldnt Connect because the driver was already in use in PHD2 i think. If i disconnected Mount from PHD2 i could Connect Scope in Cartes du Ciel and visa versa.

Is there a way around this?

Is this way of workflow not optimal?

Didn't have much time left for actual AP but this is what i got for 4mins total exposure. Its way to little exposure, and bad stars, but this wasnt my goal this first time.

spacer.png

D5 Curves.png

Edited by masjstovel

9 minutes ago, masjstovel said:

Is this way of workflow not optimal?

Hi

No, you just cracked it; you got a frame out of the camera with the mount tracking and being guided for 4 minutes:)

Make sure that eqmod is running first and that there is only one instance of it. Next time, it will all be a lot easier. 

Congratulations.

24 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

No, you just cracked it; you got a frame out of the camera with the mount tracking and being guided for 4 minutes:)

Make sure that eqmod is running first and that there is only one instance of it. Next time, it will all be a lot easier. 

Congratulations.

Thanks! Well its actually several 20sec exposures and 6 darks. Had some 120sec exposures but that was to much movement.
EQmod running = Opening EQmod toolbox, register, and Connect?

Still in Toolbox?

Ok, and then i can use it on several apps simultanusly? (PHD2, Cartes du Ciel, etc)? 
Im sorry for questionbombing, but this ASCOM/EQMOD/ASCOMPAD etc etc is still very vague to me.

Edited by masjstovel

19 minutes ago, masjstovel said:

19 minutes ago, masjstovel said:

can use it on several apps simultanusly? (PHD2, Cartes du Ciel, etc)

If you have the latest ascom, yes. In older versions there was a virtual hub -POTH- which dealt with simultaneous apps. You shouldn't need it...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alacant said:

If you have the latest ascom, yes. In older versions there was a virtual hub -POTH- which dealt with simultaneous apps. You shouldn't need it...

I have the

EQASCOM v200q

ASCOMPAD v209

Guess those are the latest?

Those are the drivers, beneath which you need the latest version of ascom from here. You already have ascom installed otherwise eqascom wouldn't run. Just make certain it is the latest.

It is ascom which deals with the interaction of the drivers and insists they all play nicely.

HTH.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 21:12, alacant said:

Those are the drivers, beneath which you need the latest version of ascom from here. You already have ascom installed otherwise eqascom wouldn't run. Just make certain it is the latest.

It is ascom which deals with the interaction of the drivers and insists they all play nicely.

HTH.

Thanks! Lots of cloudy nights where i live, so havent been testing this other than this one time with the photo above.

Can you explain me the difference between "Pulse guiding" and "ST4" in the EQMOD setup and which do i use with the setup i mentioned? I use the ST4 cable (the network cable), but i use it from guider to PC. 

Edited by masjstovel