NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flying Bat and Squid

don4l

Here is my version of SH2-211 "Flying Bat" nebula.  I tried to capture the squid last year, but it was completely invisible with my 12nm OIII filter.

I've since upgraded to a 3nm filter and I was very relieved to see that it makes a huge difference.

Exposure:  OIII 490m 2x2,  Ha 145m, G 20m, B25m

Camera: STL6303

Mount EQ6 Pro

Software,  CCDSoft, CCDCiel, CCDStack, Gimp

Comments and advice very welcome.

sh129f3nm29800Squid.jpg

• Like 7

No idea if it's your processing or the nature of the target, but the stars within the shape of the squid appear to "sparkle" more than those outside it.  Very reminiscent of the bioluminescence of some jellyfish and other deep sea dwellers.

James

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

No idea if it's your processing or the nature of the target, but the stars within the shape of the squid appear to "sparkle" more than those outside it.  Very reminiscent of the bioluminescence of some jellyfish and other deep sea dwellers.

James

Well Spotted!

I haven't a clue how to process it properly.  So I just created a new layer in the Gimp and colourised it.  I then added it to the rest of the image that I took last year.  This has meant that the stars inside the squid are the result of the OIII data added to the original.  The rest of the OIII image has been masked out.

It is definitely "Art" rather than science.

Edited by don4l