Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear night curse

Anthonyexmouth

Been having a few issues the last few nights with my ASI294. Its like its crashing, when imaging it fails to download the image and if i disconnect/reconnect the temp is quite high so obviously been off for a while. 

using APT to image. tried different usb cables, i use good lindy cables for everything. tried disconnecting guide camera from the back of the camera, tried direct to the laptop bypassing the pier hub but keeps throwing this random issue. it does sometimes not show up although the 290 guide that i usually plug into the rear of it always does.

Any ideas from you peeps before i seek help from the good guys at flo? hoping its not a camera fault and just a config issue/conflict

My main issue was getting an error in apt saying it took longer than 30s to get image from the camera. That's the point I discovered it had warmed up too. Using a bench supply for all my power so that shouldn't be an issue. Odd that the camera connected to the rear hub is always detected too but sometimes the main one isn't. 

Very frustrating when clear nights have been rare recently. 

Has it always been like this? Sounds like the same issues I had with my 1600 when I first got it. Image downloads would hang in APT. I blamed my USB hub for ages. Turned out it was my old laptop, Win 7 USB2 only. When I switched to a new Win 10 USB 3 laptop all the issues disappeared.

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

Does it work on it's own plugged into the laptop

Haven't tried solely on its own. Three only other things are the heq5 and the asi290 guide. Will try on its own. I downloaded the trial of sg pro but when I tried to take any images the image was black even when stretched

ok. tried a few scenarios

asi290 to the 294 hub then off to a hub with the heq5 and then into the laptop. result, 290 always shows up and 294 doesn't

294 to a hub with the heq5 and then into the laptop. result, 294 sometimes shows

asi290 to the 294 hub then straight to laptop. 290 shows up and 294 only somtimes

294 on its own straight to laptop it shows up and no problems. 

Any ideas?

the 290 is usb 3 and always works with the combo of cables and hubs , the heq5 always works. the 294 only has issues when connected with other things.. which in an AP setup is quite a problem. 

4 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Is there a way to connect your 290 with the other stuff and the 294 separately to it's own USB port on the laptop?

I run a single 10m usb into the house. Don't really wanna have 2 to bring through the wall. All worked fine with the same setup and my old canon. I like the single plug to the laptop solution. Just not sure if there's a conflict somewhere or the 294 is somehow faulty

Fyi I never had luck with my old ASI120 plugged into the hub on the ASI1600. It would loop a couple of frames in PHD and then timeout. The only thing I use that hub for now is the filterwheel.

10m is a long way for a cable and 2 fast frame cameras. Is the cable only USB2?

15 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Fyi I never had luck with my old ASI120 plugged into the hub on the ASI1600. It would loop a couple of frames in PHD and then timeout. The only thing I use that hub for now is the filterwheel.

10m is a long way for a cable and 2 fast frame cameras. Is the cable only USB2?

No, it's usb3. The long usb cable isn't the issue as the problem is identical when the laptop is at the mount. Was running that long cable for the last year with the same setup but with the canon instead of the 294. I'm also never using then for high frame rates. I could understand the 290 glitching passing through the 294 hub but that's the one that consistently works. 

Their temperamental devices at best. I'd try the second cable to see if that works.

If that works and you still want to stick with a single cable from outside to inside I can recommend the Startech USB2 hub (4 slots) to CAT5 ethernet. Runs my mount, focuser, both USB3 cameras and filterwheel without skipping a beat.

23 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Their temperamental devices at best. I'd try the second cable to see if that works.

If that works and you still want to stick with a single cable from outside to inside I can recommend the Startech USB2 hub (4 slots) to CAT5 ethernet. Runs my mount, focuser, both USB3 cameras and filterwheel without skipping a beat.

It's not the long usb cable as the problem is the same when I take the laptop to the mount and bypass it. 

I've got the startech usb3 hub on the mount. So it's a good hub. 

Just ordered another startech hub on Amazon to at least see if that's the problem, can always send it back after the test

8 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

It's not the long usb cable as the problem is the same when I take the laptop to the mount and bypass it. 

I've got the startech usb3 hub on the mount. So it's a good hub. 

Just ordered another startech hub on Amazon to at least see if that's the problem, can always send it back after the test

I'm not suggesting it's the cable or the hub that's at fault. Saying it may well needs it's own separate connection to the laptop. You say the 294 works fine on it's own plugged directly into the laptop. Have you tried then adding the other devices into another USB port at the same time?

I've had all these sorts of issues myself. The reason I suggested the above is it's the only single cable option I have found to be viable.