Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Great planetary's

jetstream

Dug out the SQM tonight just for fun and low and behold it registered a steady 21.8 after warming it up. The initial reading was 22. Transparency was a step up from the other nights so the 24" was wheeled out and already cooled, within 2 degrees.

I'm liking planetary nebula at the moment and viewed a couple of interesting ones tonight- the Fetus nebula NGC 7008 and the Cheeseburger nebula NGC 7026. The Leica zoom was tried and replaced by the venerable 10mm BCO/VIP as the views suffered in the zoom, but this ortho brightened the view substantially. The Fetus nebula is a largish odd shaped object and I preferred no filter going way past 500x- more on this later. This one seemed to like around 500x for me anyway. This is a VG visual target.

On to NGC 7026 the Cheeseburger nebula. I had the Sky Commander programmed with a bunch of objects and forgot the names, just using the identifiers to locate. When I put this one in the eyepiece with the 20mm Lunt, it gave hints of something other than a boring planetary... in goes the 10BCO native, more showing-into the VIP it goes for 500x and the separation became evident revealing its namesake.

I have nosepiece extensions that I use with the 10BCO/VIP to increase the barlow effect- they are 1" and .75" I think and can be screwed together. The Cheeseburger took all the combo had! 2 great little "buns" with dark separation in between! If anyone has the chance try this one and crank up the mag, ortho preferably.

So, now the question... I forget how to calculate the barlow effect with the VIP- does anyone know or remember? I had 1.75" of extensions on holding the 10BCO up in the barlow, plus the EP nosepiece itself.The mag will calc very high I believe and is useful on certain objects.

Thanks, Gerry

ps who put all those galaxies near NGC 6079?!

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 6

Another excellent report, Gerry. Planetaries are among my favourites. I had a good look at the Foetus a few weeks back. Haven’t seen the Cheeseburger recently but will put that right soon! 

I have the Baader VIP and like it very much. I created an Eyepiece spreadsheet which calculates all the key figures for my eyepieces. I can even work out values based on length added/removed from the VIP. Can you see where I’m going with this? ;) I put the numbers in, 1.75” (44.5mm) added and got a magnification factor of 2.7x. If 2x is giving you 500x then 2.7x would give you 675x. Details of the formula for calculating the magnification factor below:

https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/downloads/dl/file/id/240/product/1062/calculating_different_magnifications_with_the_vip_barlow.pdf

• Like 1

Great report, Gerry! Given the smallish image scale, I reckon your dobson should work very well on planetary nebulae and small galaxies. 

Regarding the VIP, it depends on how you configured it.

Natively, it's 1+(64/64)=2x . If you change configuration, you need to recalculate the 'first 64' in the formula. Could you post a photo of your VIP, please?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Piero said:

Great report, Gerry! Given the smallish image scale, I reckon your dobson should work very well on planetary nebulae and small galaxies. 

Regarding the VIP, it depends on how you configured it.

Natively, it's 1+(64/64)=2x . If you change configuration, you need to recalculate the 'first 64' in the formula. Could you post a photo of your VIP, please?

Thanks Piero, this scope is working very well and surprisingly on objects like the Veil- I had more detail than ever last night.

In the image I had both rings on and the distance from the top of the VIP to the bottom of the eyepiece shoulder is 1.6".

I can use this as a small range zoom, pulling the unit out of the VIP a bit.

Commonly used measurements are 2",1.6" 1" and .6".

I don't have the bottom adapter ring on as I "sink" the VIP nosepiece in order to help with clearances using diagonals.

Looks like after a certain point the HR3.4mm should be employed- I used it the other night at 735x - it is excellent in this scope as well.

Thanks Piero, Gerry

IMG_4549.JPG

Edited by jetstream
attach image
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Haven’t seen the Cheeseburger recently but will put that right soon! 

Thanks Neil, last night was VG- after packing up I came back down where I could see the southern MW split and the other horizon features as well. The MW was horizon to horizon and extremely bright- not the best for here but really good.

The Milky Way lit up my obs spot enough so I had tree reflections on my car hood and I had zero issues seeing once dark adapted. My Alum ladder rungs were plain as day to see etc.

Question- can you get Cheeseburger separation with the 10"?- how high mag do you go?

The Leica failed miserably on these objects for some reason-transmission issues possibly? Great on lunar/planetary though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Piero, this scope is working very well and surprisingly on objects like the Veil- I had more detail than ever last night.

In the image I had both rings on and the distance from the top of the VIP to the bottom of the eyepiece shoulder is 1.6".

I can use this as a small range zoom, pulling the unit out of the VIP a bit.

Commonly used measurements are 2",1.6" 1" and .6".

I don't have the bottom adapter ring on as I "sink" the VIP nosepiece in order to help with clearances using diagonals.

Looks like after a certain point the HR3.4mm should be employed- I used it the other night at 735x - it is excellent in this scope as well.

Thanks Piero, Gerry

IMG_4549.JPG

Hi Gerry,

Yeah, that's simpler to calculate. The lack of bottom ring adapter subtracts 5mm. That's almost insignificant really.

If I understood correctly you add 2, 1, or 0 15mm spacers in between the 2"-to-1.25" adapter (top) and the 1.25" nosepiece containing the VIP element. If so the VIP will work at about:

1+((64-5)/64) with two 15mm spacers

1+((64-5-15)/64) with one 15mm spacer

1+((64-5-2*15)/64) with zero spacers

Let me check later though as it's Friday and I'm just leaving work after a very busy day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Neil, last night was VG- after packing up I came back down where I could see the southern MW split and the other horizon features as well. The MW was horizon to horizon and extremely bright- not the best for here but really good.

The Milky Way lit up my obs spot enough so I had tree reflections on my car hood and I had zero issues seeing once dark adapted. My Alum ladder rungs were plain as day to see etc.

Question- can you get Cheeseburger separation with the 10"?- how high mag do you go?

The Leica failed miserably on these objects for some reason-transmission issues possibly? Great on lunar/planetary though.

I was super happy to follow the MW down to the southern horizon last week. First time I remember being able to do that. 

Last time I looked at the Cheeseburger was last year. I’m going to give it another gear on my next dark site visit. I’ll report back my results. Camping this weekend. Only space for the little frac but should be good for some widefield dark neb hunting. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Piero said:

Is it a tall eyepiece or you have another spacer holding the eyepiece?

I bought some nose pieces from Agena Astro years ago to play with this and they are .75" and 1" long. They can be used alone or screwed together for the 1.75" measurement. They are screwed on the BCO's existing nose piece, holding the EP farther from the barlow. It works extremely well with this EP. It also works great with the Docter and this is how I get so much mag with it, after using all the VIP's T2 spacers.

These spacers work well with some ep's better than others.

https://agenaastro.com/blue-fireball-1-25-spacer-ring-1-extension.html

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1

@jetstream  Gerry, if I understand correctly you have

1.25" eyepiece + 1.25" spacers (*) + 2"-to-1.25" adapter + 1.25" nosepiece which includes the VIP barlow.

(*) the total spacer coming out of the 2"-to-1.25" adapter can be 2",1.6" 1" or .6" long

Does this sound right?

32 minutes ago, jetstream said:

This is correct-thanks Piero!

These dimensions are from the top of VIP to bottom shoulder of 10BCO.

Okay, so it should be about:

1+(64-5-30+X)/64 

Where X is 2",1.6" 1" or .6" in mm.

For instance, if X = 25.4mm (1 inch):

1+(64-5-30+25.4)/64 = 1.85x

14 hours ago, Piero said:

Could you post a photo of your VIP, please?

You know I used to have this all figured out- now I just use the stuff to observe! Ok I think I got it...

With both spacers its about 2.7" from the BCO shoulder to the VIP element, so 68.6mm +64mm/64=2.07+1= 3.07x

So if true then 10/3.07= 3.26mm for 2499/3.26mm=766x.

If I pull it out another .6" =15.2mm. 15.2mm + 68.6=83.8+64=147/64= 2.3+1=3.3x

10/3.3=3.03 for 825x max mag

So far then 766x seated and 825x pulled out.

IMG_4551.JPG

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Piero said:

That 1.25" spacer screw on the BCO barrel?

If so, what is the distance from the top surface of the 2"-to-1.25" adapter to the BCO barrel included?

That's your X (in millimetres).

Yes your right I just looked at Neils link to the VIP- it does include the spacers. Its 1.6" . I forgot all this stuff lol!

• Like 1