SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meade LX200 dec and RA not locking?

Hi. I'm looking at buying a used Meade LX200 and am flummoxed on locking the R.A. and dec locks. I would love your collective help. The scope looks to be in great condition, but neither axis locks; when I cinch the R.A. lock, the scope still freely spins with no friction on it at all. The same is for the declination dial on the right arm. Is there something I'm not understanding? I'm guessing this LX200 to have been built around 2000 or so.

I have an LX10 and it locks intuitively and securely. The LX200 is baffling me.

530409bf3b474c98a3916d069059a946.jpg

Edited by Zoopster

I've been reading the manual for it, but am still not seeing why it shouldn't be locking on either axis. Is it possible the gears have been stripped? Even then, it seems the friction locks would still work.

Edited by Zoopster

Hi @Zoopster

It's been a few years since I owned a 10" LX200, but I do recall that periodically I had to adjust both the RA and Dec locks. The Dec would actual get too tight, so I had to completely remove the dial and reseat it and associated washers. For the RA lock have you followed this procedure from the manual?

3. Right Ascension Lock

After a period of time, it is possible that the R.A. lock (7, Fig. 1)of the LX200 will not tighten sufficiently due to internal wear ofthe clutch mechanism. In such an event, remove the R.A. locklever using one of the hex wrenches supplied with thetelescope. Then, with a pair of pliers, tighten the shaftprotruding outward from the drive base until you cannot easilyrotate the fork arm in R.A. (Take care in this operation not todamage the cosmetic finish of your LX200). Replace the R.A.lock lever so that the handle points straight out from the cross-bar connecting the fork arm.

Good luck,

Geof

Have a look at the Dec first as it's easiest to get to, the clutch has grease on it anyway unless it's had a Peterson mod which uses the cork gasket.

There used to be dismantling instructions on the LX200GPS Yahoo Group site, may still be.

Dave