NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spec me a 12v 100A leisure battery please?

kirkster501

Hello folks,

Anyone who has built a 100A power box or thereabouts, could you please recommend me a 12v leisure battery and a box for it please?  I have some ideas but some ideas of a working combination from the community would be great!

Any thoughts about the types of 12v plug connectors to use?  I don't want to use cigar sockets.

Thanks, Steve

8 minutes ago, kirkster501 said:

100A power box

Sorry, I cannot help with your particular question but may I ask why you need 100 A? At 12V that's 1.2 kW - that's going to need some really chunky wires!

I use an old amateur radio 30A supply (designed to cope with 100W of RTTY from a transmitter) and it barely gets warm when running all my astro gear.

Adrian

• Like 1

I think the OP means 100 amp-hours.

Which is more than enough to run a mount, laptop and enough dew heaters to keep a the scope warm for ages.

I think most people who go for this sort of size are working on the basis that the battery does not deliver full capacity when cold. Further, it degrades and loses capacity on a daily basis in storage. Whether charged, kept warm, kept cold, etc.
A battery that starts life at 100 amp hours can become half that in a couple of years though still run a scope and accessories for the night.

On connectors. There is a lot to be said for the XLR series connectors. They are popular for stage use as they are robust enough to stand on and throw around. Available in various configurations from multiple manufacturers and many suppliers.
Here is one example.

https://www.neutrik.co.uk/products/audio/xlr

Hope this helps,

David.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 2