Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A right muddle

wookie1965

Set up at 10pm colder than of late but the skies looked pristine.

Went to Saturn spent over half an hour here I could see 3 moons one being Titan, now as a friend said clear the PAE and do a normal 2 star alignment.

Arcturus first further out than I would like but got it in next was Rasalgethi first time used this but its what the handset came up with that was further away than usual for a second star but got it in alignment successful.

I always go to a couple of favourites to try the accuracy NGC 457 and nowhere to be seen so I said to myself think Paul what can get you more accuracy so decided to go to a couple of named stars in 3 parts of the sky first Altair way out got that in next Mirach again miles out and lastly Mizar closer this time.

Why I was there checked out a favourite "La Superba" (SAO 0443 17)  There it was bright orange burning coal just a bit out try NGC 457 again yes there it is top of the FOV but there next M31 again top of the FOV .

I stopped thought again and did a 1 star alignment with Capella now try M31 again dead centre brilliant but it looked rather diffuse strange onto NGC 7762 "Blue Snowball" was not in the centre but only a tad out at first I had thought it was nowhere forgot I had 32mm in as I looked closer I could see this thing that was not in focus like the rest of the stars. I put my 8mm in and there it loomed like a powder blue marble but was watery.

Over to NGC 7789 "Caroline`s Rose" and here I could see nothing sitting back thinking what could it be lack of magnification so put 15mm in I could see something well I told myself that. Went to NGC 457 bang in the middle but was very wobbly checked my scope and dew everywhere checked the Lens covered checked my dew strip cold so that`s what was giving the awful views , so either I can try fix this one or buy a new one. 

" Caroline`s Rose" eluded me this time.

I packed up and came in 12.45 and not one double was had. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul73 said:

I’ve vowed to steer well clear of GoTo. Great idea, but it would drive me up the wall!

Hope that it works better next time out.

Paul

Worked fine a few nights back dont know what went wrong this time probably something I have done.