Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Re Paint/Restore Celestron C11 ideas.

Lucked into a wonderful Mid 80's Early 90's C11. Optics are fantastic, but condition of older scope and mount are issues. Paint is flaking off the back of the scope and portions of the mount. Any ideas regarding repaint or restoration would be appreciated. Should I strip of the paint on the back and use regular spray paint to restore? Should I get it professionally repainted at an auto paint shop? If the paint is baked, I imagine that it may harm the mirrors? Many questions, I am open to ideas.IMG_0148.jpg.6c170d9f4f434821dd8612b01cdffe32.jpgIMG_0149.jpg.dec483ff813939747c08379af1247953.jpgIMG_0146.jpg.1c6d1d4f5bed094266d2379c55996d7c.jpg

A nice find.

First wait for a spell of a week or two cloudy weather so you can let the paint dry in the final step and you are not tempted to hurry.    I'd just cover the rest of the scope in a polythene dust sheet and tape it up thoroughly using masking tape.  Then I'd sand down the back and get it smooth - this is the most important step for a good result.  Then I'd prime it, then spray matt black auto paint.  With a little care and time you could get this looking superb for $20 or less.

It is no big deal to take these scopes completely to bits.  People get really scared to tinker but scopes are really very simple devices.  Just protect the optics when you do this and make sure they go back in the correct orientation.

Edited by kirkster501

3 hours ago, kirkster501 said:

A nice find.

First wait for a spell of a week or two cloudy weather so you can let the paint dry in the final step and you are not tempted to hurry.    I'd just cover the rest of the scope in a polythene dust sheet and tape it up thoroughly using masking tape.  Then I'd sand down the back and get it smooth - this is the most important step for a good result.  Then I'd prime it, then spray matt black auto paint.  With a little care and time you could get this looking superb for $20 or less.

It is no big deal to take these scopes completely to bits.  People get really scared to tinker but scopes are really very simple devices.  Just protect the optics when you do this and make sure they go back in the correct orientation.

Yes i agree. Auto paint. I have restorted a few motirbike if you mask out ( very well and take time) you could use a light emery paper to blend in paint that is still adhered then prime and respray. 

You can age nee as well by using a etch coat for a couple of minutes then sponge off. That way it looks vintage.