NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Back to the dark side

Im back to having a tracker for the coming season and managed a night out last night to test the gear.  The plan is for this to accompany me on some trips to dark skys and do some wide field mosaic images of nebula regions. 

im using a Sonya7rii and a sony 70-200mm F4 OSS G 

image details

70MM 

ISO 1000

F4.5 

x121 seconds 

im actually quite surprised at how sharp this lens is, apart from the top left which is very soft every other corner is very good.   hopefully over the next few nights i can get my mosaic done of this area around Deneb & Sadr. 

image sequence as follows ::

bottom left

bottom right

middle

top left 

top right 

Cheers

Danny :) 

bleft.JPG

bright.JPG

Capture.JPG

tleft.JPG

tright.JPG

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Lockie said:

Good project. Weird how it's soft only in one corner (tilt?) Fingers crossed you get the weather you need, it looks promising but I dare not say anymore than that.

cheers Chris, yeah its pretty strange i have a feeling its a bit of sag on the bayonet of the sony. It's a problem thats been there from the start. you can however buy a cnc machined new one for about twenty bucks.  its now on order so time will tell if its that.

• Like 1

On 24/08/2019 at 12:34, Daniel-K said:

cheers Chris, yeah its pretty strange i have a feeling its a bit of sag on the bayonet of the sony. It's a problem thats been there from the start. you can however buy a cnc machined new one for about twenty bucks.  its now on order so time will tell if its that.

Worth a shot for 20 quid, although I don't know if it's worth trying to shim the bayonet with a couple of layers of paper or thin card to see if it makes a difference? You'd probably get a light leak, but hopefully not enough to mask the corner stars? 

I hope this doesn't mean you're abandoning the static shots ? I look forward to seeing your starscapes.

That lens does look quite good over all and I hope the part you're getting sorts it.

Dave.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, davew said:

I hope this doesn't mean you're abandoning the static shots ? I look forward to seeing your starscapes.

That lens does look quite good over all and I hope the part you're getting sorts it.

Dave.

Just a bit of variety Dave, i have some Nightscapes planned when the king returns to skies  

• Thanks 1