Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magical Saturn

Scooot

I put the 16” out for the first time in a long time tonight. Saturn was low in the South. I’d looked at it a few days ago in my baby tak and 10” so was keen to view it in the big dob again. 

I wasn’t disappointed, it was great and very bright. Using my 13mm Ethos which gave me a 0.61° fov, the Cassini division was clear and there was a hint of banding on the planet. Titan was bright, and as I first stared, Tethys & Dione came into view below.  Rhea was obvious top left as was Iapetus a long way to the right, although I thought it was a star at first. I couldn’t see Enceladus, Hyperion or Mimas.

Despite it’s low altitude, it was a very sharp view, and the major highlight of the night.  My wife Jane, came out to view as well and said it was the best she’d seen it in any of my scopes. 

This is how the moons we’re aligned in the dob:

59E7C231-F7FF-4948-8043-FD83E733ED35.thumb.png.2af5a14b4e8ca8006db02314d527ce46.png

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 8

Yes the haze & high altitude blanket became much more noticeable as I was looking at other stuff later on, particularly on the western side at my location .Nevertheless, I had a bit longer before the moon lit the sky up. :)   I didn’t place the scope where I could see Jupiter last night.

25 minutes ago, markse68 said:

Past couple of nights the seeing has been much better hasn’t it- really sharp views of the gas giants despite haze and high altitude blanket. I really enjoyed Saturn too last night 😊 (and Jupiter with GRS) 

Yes! Yesterday was the first time I saw the GRS!

• Like 3