Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding camera suggestions

msacco

Hi, I'm thinking about getting a guiding camera, and would love to hear some suggestions.

Not sure if it's really relevant, but my current gear is in the signature, though I'll probably buy new gear from someone in the following months which is CPC1100 + wedge + hyperstar.

So I've looked around a bit, and there are just so many options to choose....There are a lot of recommendations about cheap cameras such as the 120mm mini, but some says that it's not enough.

I don't really have a set budget, I'd just like to get something that I'll be satisfied with and do the job, whether it's for 150$, 300$, or something else.

I might want to have an option to use an OAG in the future in case needed, but I'm not too sure, as long as the guiding camera works well, I guess I don't really need an OAG.

Thanks for the help! :)

1 hour ago, smr said:

The 120MM Mini is superb.

1 hour ago, artem said:

I also have the 120MM Mini  and it just works.. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I've heard a lot of good things about the mini, with it also being so cheap, it's really worth considering, one thing to note, I rather spend more money now, than possibly buy another camera in the future.
Doesn't mean the 120mm won't be enough for my needs, it might do and then everything is great, but just wanted to say that :)

So regarding the 120mm, what do you think about the 120mm-s instead of the 120mm mini? Would that have any benefits? That could be a nice use for planetary imaging I believe, so the more FPS might help here.

What do you think? Thanks! :)

Hello

The 120mm-s  is also a good CCD for moon, planets, weather + can also be used as a guider camera.. beside the price & weight and the dimensions difference between Mini and the 120mm-s , I do not see and differences.. I did have both, and did sell my 120mm-s and use only the Mini for guding pourposes. I Just prefer the Mini since it matches perfectly to the ZWO 30mm Mini Guider Scope :thumbsup: + ASIAIR :thumbsup:

Regards

Martin

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, artem said:

Hello

The 120mm-s  is also a good CCD for moon, planets, weather + can also be used as a guider camera.. beside the price & weight and the dimensions difference between Mini and the 120mm-s , I do not see and differences.. I did have both, and did sell my 120mm-s and use only the Mini.. I Just prefer the Mini since it matches perfectly to the ZWO 30mm Mini Guider Scope :thumbsup:

Regards

Martin

I see, I'm actually going to the US in a few hours, is there any place I could search for second hand stuff maybe? ^_^
Though I'm not sure how it would be possible getting it from someone while traveling, but maybe it could :p

6 minutes ago, msacco said:

I see, I'm actually going to the US in a few hours, is there any place I could search for second hand stuff maybe? ^_^
Though I'm not sure how it would be possible getting it from someone while traveling, but maybe it could :p

You could perhaps have items sent to a post office for collection, or a reputable hotel etc. Try https://www.astrobuysell.com for used gear in the states. Don't know how long shipping would take though?

You will travel to the US ? very nice.:thumbsup:, enjoy your stay there.. Tthere are many astronomy forums  where astronomers from the US participate and also trade items..

44 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

You could perhaps have items sent to a post office for collection, or a reputable hotel etc. Try https://www.astrobuysell.com for used gear in the states. Don't know how long shipping would take though?

42 minutes ago, artem said:

You will travel to the US ? very nice.:thumbsup:, enjoy your stay there.. Tthere are many astronomy forums  where astronomers from the US participate and also trade items..

Thanks! :) I'll actually be in Tucson, Arizona, so I'll probably go to starizona and there is also an astronomy bar there called sky bar.

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 23:24, msacco said:

Also, would I also be able to use that with an OAG in case I'd like to in the future?

Oag with a hyperstar? That seems an awfully large obstruction. 

Btw, @gorann had trouble finding a guidestar with the asi120 + zwo oag on a Meade 14" at native f-number. He's switching to a lodestar. This may be relevant for you. 

14 hours ago, wimvb said:

Oag with a hyperstar? That seems an awfully large obstruction. 

Btw, @gorann had trouble finding a guidestar with the asi120 + zwo oag on a Meade 14" at native f-number. He's switching to a lodestar. This may be relevant for you. 

Not necessarily with a hyperstar, but yeah probably not the best idea.

I believe a guidescope would be enough tbh.

I'm also thinking of a cooled camera, but will probably open a different thread.

Edited by msacco

I think there is almost a general agreement that the Loadstar X2 is the best (most light sensitive) guide camera you can get and will always find stars even with OAG on a long focal length scope. The main reason being its CCD chip with large light sensitive pixels. However, in many cases the cheaper CMOS cameras like ASI120MMmini or QHY5L-II-M will do fine, especially on guide scopes. I just bought a Lodestar X2 (arrived yesterday), since as Wim @wimvb pointed out I had great trouble finding guide stars with an OAG on my Meade 14".

I bought the Lodestar X2 from FLO that has it on sale right now but I see that the sale ends TODAY! So maybe you should make a fast decision!

1 hour ago, gorann said:

I think there is almost a general agreement that the Loadstar X2 is the best (most light sensitive) guide camera you can get and will always find stars even with OAG on a long focal length scope. The main reason being its CCD chip with large light sensitive pixels. However, in many cases the cheaper CMOS cameras like ASI120MMmini or QHY5L-II-M will do fine, especially on guide scopes. I just bought a Lodestar X2 (arrived yesterday), since as Wim @wimvb pointed out I had great trouble finding guide stars with an OAG on my Meade 14".

I bought the Lodestar X2 from FLO that has it on sale right now but I see that the sale ends TODAY! So maybe you should make a fast decision!

Yeah I've also heard about the lodestar x2 being the best, but I'm not sure if that's rather too expensive for me, and generally it seems like the 120mm could *usually* so the job.

I still consider the 290mm but acording to the comments it seems like the 120mm would be ok.

Edited by msacco

Well, if you want to be full proof for the future I think you should go for the Loadstar but the 120mm will do its job as long as you do not go for OAG with a SCT. I spent my first 5 years of imaging with relatively cheap CMOS guide cameras and rarely had a problem with them.

2 hours ago, gorann said:

Well, if you want to be full proof for the future I think you should go for the Loadstar but the 120mm will do its job as long as you do not go for OAG with a SCT. I spent my first 5 years of imaging with relatively cheap CMOS guide cameras and rarely had a problem with them.

Since there are still a lot of things I need to get, I believe I won't go with the lodestar, I'm still wondering between the 290mm and the 120mm, as the 290 could be used for OAG I believe.

Not sure that the 290mm would be a better choice and more light sensitive since it has smaller pixels (2.9um) compared to the 120mm (3.75 um). Maybe someone knows. And the 290mm is only marginally cheaper (340 Euro) than the 8.3 um pixel Lodestar X2 -  378 GBP at FLO until midnight - so you have 35 minutes 😱

17 minutes ago, gorann said:

until midnight - so you have 35 minutes 😱

Uk is in a different time zone, Göran. 1 hr + 20 minutes now 😉

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, gorann said:

Not sure that the 290mm would be a better choice and more light sensitive since it has smaller pixels (2.9um) compared to the 120mm (3.75 um). Maybe someone knows. And the 290mm is only marginally cheaper (340 Euro) than the 8.3 um pixel Lodestar X2 -  378 GBP at FLO until midnight - so you have 35 minutes 😱

That's such a hard decision to make right now!!! I really don't know..

It's still around 422$ and very expensive for a guide camera.

Maybe I could get the 120mm and then invest in the 071 cooled, but if not I'll for sure get the 294mc.

• Like 1