SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How do you open observing lists?

So I just downloaded a couple of observing lists one of them is the light polluted skies list, it opens on the Notepad++ just fine (on my laptop), I tried to open it up with Stellaruim on PC but I guess it's not compatible, however I heard you can use them on SkySafari App on your phone, which will be convenient if I link up the software with the GoTo I have,

I have Stellarium + and Free SkySafari on my phone, both won't recognise the list, do I have to purchase the SkySafari 6 Plus or the SkySafari 6 Pro to access it?

P.S i wonder if there is a dedicated observing list for very dark skies, that would be great for my next camping trip!

Hi PlanetGazer,

You can import observing lists into the free version of Skysafari.

If you import it from the online repository within Skysafari using: Observing/ObservingLists/Import from Online Repository it should just work.

If importing to your PC or phone from elsewhere, make sure the list has a ".skylist" extension and place it in-

<top level of SD card>/SkySafari/Observing Lists/     or, if using internal storage,    Internal storage/Skysafari/Observing Lists/

This is for Android, iOS will differ.

The Skysafari manual is here;      https://skysafariastronomy.com/support/manual/manual.shtml

Good luck.

Edited by lenscap
added internal storage
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, lenscap said:

Hi PlanetGazer,

You can import observing lists into the free version of Skysafari.

If you import it from the online repository within Skysafari using: Observing/ObservingLists/Import from Online Repository it should just work.

If importing to your PC or phone from elsewhere, make sure the list has a ".skylist" extension and place it in-

<top level of SD card>/SkySafari/Observing Lists/     or, if using internal storage,    Internal storage/Skysafari/Observing Lists/

This is for Android, iOS will differ.

The Skysafari manual is here;      https://skysafariastronomy.com/support/manual/manual.shtml

Good luck.

Hello Lenscap

Thanks for the reply, I just double checked the free version. There is no observing section.

I checked on the pro and the plus version on some videos , and it seems to have an observing section. So I guess that answers my question.

Regards

• 2 years later...

I have put a couple of observing lists in the directory you have listed (internal storage/skysafari6pro/observing lists ) but they dont show up when I go there it says I have no app installed to open this file when clearly I have any help please.