Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

twin imaging system - OSC + Mono?

dyfiastro

Hi everyone
I have never done anything like this before and really was not something I was planning until I found it was even a possibility given my possible setup.

I am in the process of replacing the 130PDS that was damaged in a storm some months back.
As a side project I have also just purchased a SMC Takumar 200mm f4 Lens.
The original idea was to use the 130PDS as my main imaging scope with a QHY8L and use the 200mm with my 600D as a more wide field lens to run piggy back or to fill in gaps when doing mosaics.

Aside from this I had also been looking at getting a ASI 178M / MC for doing lunar / solar and some light EAA. At present I do not intend to use filters with this apart from maybe an IR pass for lunar work (which I already have).
Now whilst working various things out using a fov calculator I found that the 178M /MC on the 200mm gives a near identical fov to what the 130PDS + QHY8L has and there is not much difference in the pixel scale either.
This got my thinking about the possibility of using this combination as a third possible setup and combining the data.

I cannot push to a cooled version of the 178 but would be willing to maybe build a small peltier for it if required.
How well would this setup work in regards to combining say L data from the 178 and the OSC from the QHY8L?
I am hoping I may be able to run the 200mm wide open using a mono sensor so would be able to collect L data quicker

Any thoughts / help / advise on this would be great.

Thanks in advance

Mark