Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod/pier for CEM60-EC

Hi guys, 

First of all, I do apologise because I'm not sure where this thread will sit (Mount, General, DIY Astronomy) 

When I bought the CEM60-EC mount, I opted not to buy a portable tripod or the tri-pier only because I didn't felt the need for it but I've been thinking that I might just buy something if that is I ever take the mount off the pier and go to either a dark site or maybe even if I want to image something from a different part of my garden. 

The issue that I've seen are that the iOptron tripod (from what I've read) seems to be wobbly. The tri-pier is not good on uneven surface and let's not forget is on the expensive side of things. The I've also seen people use Avalon tripod but like the tri-pier is an expensive buy. 

I understand that any tripod (as long as I can drill holes for the Azimuth 130mm apart) should be fine but the NEQ6 tripod which is the only other tripod I've had experience with is of the same weight as the iOptron one and exactly the same thickness of the legs. So now I'm also thinking of maybe making a portable pier/tripod out of a square pipe which I already have. 

So what I'm asking for are any options, ideas and/or suggestions with regards to a tripod for the mount, or a portable pier or maybe DIY it using a square pipe. 

Mods please move to an appropriate section if you feel necessary. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by souls33k3r

I use the Meade Giant Field tripod with the 10Micron away from home, really heavy and has 3 inch legs.

There's one for sale in the sale bit ATM, somewhere up north so don't know what the courier charge would be as it weighs a ton.

The mounting holes in the top match the 10Micron, don't know about the iOptron.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T

1 hour ago, souls33k3r said:

Hi guys, 

First of all, I do apologise because I'm not sure where this thread will sit (Mount, General, DIY Astronomy) 

When I bought the CEM60-EC mount, I opted not to buy a portable tripod or the tri-pier only because I didn't felt the need for it but I've been thinking that I might just buy something if that is I ever take the mount off the pier and go to either a dark site or maybe even if I want to image something from a different part of my garden. 

The issue that I've seen are that the iOptron tripod (from what I've read) seems to be wobbly. The tri-pier is not good on uneven surface and let's not forget is on the expensive side of things. The I've also seen people use Avalon tripod but like the tri-pier is an expensive buy. 

I understand that any tripod (as long as I can drill holes for the Azimuth 130mm apart) should be fine but the NEQ6 tripod which is the only other tripod I've had experience with is of the same weight as the iOptron one and exactly the same thickness of the legs. So now I'm also thinking of maybe making a portable pier/tripod out of a square pipe which I already have. 

So what I'm asking for are any options, ideas and/or suggestions with regards to a tripod for the mount, or a portable pier or maybe DIY it using a square pipe. 

Mods please move to an appropriate section if you feel necessary. 

Thanks in advance. 

What happened with your pier build..? Did you get it finished and useable..

20 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I use the Meade Giant Field tripod with the 10Micron away from home, really heavy and has 3 inch legs.

There's one for sale in the sale bit ATM, somewhere up north so don't know what the courier charge would be as it weighs a ton.

The mounting holes in the top match the 10Micron, don't know about the iOptron.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Really kind of you to point me in the direction of that post. I'm really concerned about the price the chap is selling it for because the new one is nearly around a grand. Will message the chap to find out a bit more :)

19 hours ago, StarDodger said:

What happened with your pier build..? Did you get it finished and useable..

The pier is being fabricated. Hopefully will be done in the next couple of days (before this week ends) and am hoping to have the first light this weekend as well. :) the tripod or portable pier is like I said will be used for targets that I had to compromise my permanent pier for and also of and when I head down to dark sites etc.