Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pulley and belt for Samyang 135 lens and SW motor ?

kirkster501

Hi, I want to get motorfocus working on my Samyang 135mm lens (what a superb lens).  At F2, it is a swine to focus and the focus movements are minute and wobble the image when touching the lens.

This is the motor I have in mind, only £45: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-focusers/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html

I'd need a pulley wheel to go over the shaft of the SW motor and a belt to go around the focus ring of the lens and the pulley wheel that is long enough.

Any ideas please what wheel and belt I'd need? 

Many thanks!

Pulleys and belts intended for 3D printers will be ideal. Search for GT2 closed loop belts and GT2 drive pulleys. Amazon is a good source for the drive pulleys although usually sold. In small quanities not individually.

Buy drive pulley with a 5mm bore and drill out to 6mm. The shaft on the Skywatcher Autofocus is about 5.95mm. Pulleys are available in 1/4 inch bore but that’s a bit too sloppy a fit. About a 40 tooth pulley should do. Belts come mainly in 6mm and 10mm widths. I prefer the 10mm but not essential.

This belt length calculater is invaluable in working out what belt length to buy.

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Timing-Belt-Finder--Calculator-24-a

You can buy lengths of the belts and make up your own drive belt. Youtube has vids on how to do this but takes a bit of practice to get a strong joint.

You'll have to work out a way to mount the motor of course but each installation will be different.

FEFC7F2E-C09C-4ADD-BD6A-801B9C20F54C.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 2