Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

m11

Hi everyone

A wide field view of M11. Haven't been able to separate the stars in the cluster so maybe this is a case of a lightly stretched layer underneath (?).

An nice, flat old Russian lens. USSR I suppose then. Makes my Canon zoom look colourfully soft.

Thanks for looking and any comments of course most welcome. Cheers and clear skies.

eos450d @ ISO400 

1059415852_1-m11(copy).thumb.jpg.76b382ec12bbe1755850df292aa8cdcb.jpg

• Like 4

I imaged that myself last night but it was rather windy and guiding was poor . As an image I like it but a tad over blue for my own personal tastes, strangely on my image the stars in the cluster can out very white compared to those around.

Alan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alan potts said:

imaged that myself

Hi and thanks. Yeah, the colour I find the most difficult in processing anything. It seems more and more futile looking for Google images. There are as many star colour variations as there are stars! Post your shot anyway. It may help with the stars.

Maybe this is more like it?

1389982662_1-m11b(copy).thumb.jpg.42dbd8b375a01d8f76c5b208b779b97e.jpg

2 hours ago, alacant said:

Hi and thanks. Yeah, the colour I find the most difficult in processing anything. It seems more and more futile looking for Google images. There are as many star colour variations as there are stars! Post your shot anyway. It may help with the stars.

Maybe this is more like it?

1389982662_1-m11b(copy).thumb.jpg.42dbd8b375a01d8f76c5b208b779b97e.jpg

Post my shot, I only got 7 subs, I will do when I have added some more, it was very windy last night and I wasn't that happy with anything. Personally I like that better but it is interesting, both using Canon I am getting a white cluster with a whole lot more orange about.

I have just bashed this out very quickly 2 minutes in PS just so you can see, don't think my focus was anything to write home about.

Autosave002.thumb.jpg.ad052402aa0a629ed343a044630013f0.jpg

Alan

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, alan potts said:

in PS just so you can see

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. It looks nice.

Yes, I see. You have white stars. Try as I may, unless I take the blue highlights down, I cannot get white. Dunno. Filters? Mine is an unfiltered camera lens and the eos is astro modified. Could that be it I wonder?

Cheers.

19 minutes ago, alacant said:

Thanks so much. I appreciate it. It looks nice.

Yes, I see. You have white stars. Try as I may, unless I take the blue highlights down, I cannot get white. Dunno. Filters? Mine is an unfiltered camera lens and the eos is astro modified. Could that be it I wonder?

Cheers.

I have no idea what mod mine has but it's a 40D from a member on here, bought it back in 2012 I think, it's modded by a company in the UK, the camera must be 10 years old I guess, I use to have a normal one and 50D but have gone to 7D's now they are not modded though, keep thinking to try out the Mk 1 as I don't use it so much now but I don't have one of the mains power plug in's. Personally I feel you should just carry on the way you are, your photo's are very good indeed and gives me something to aim for, colour means little as it is purely taste. You stuff it always sharp and interesting.

Alan

Alan

• Thanks 1

Your blues do generally tend towards cyan, suggesting a slight bias towards green or, possibly, slightly low reds. These things can be hard to avoid.

There's an ESO image which should be reliably calibrated: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Duck_Cluster#/media/File:Eso1430a.jpg  NASA's image confirms this.

The cluster is young so you'd expect more hot blue stars, which is what we see above, though there are a few evolved stars and some white ones. I guess the blue will tend to colour these as the optics struggle at such fine resolution. For what it's worth I found the cluster looked generally blue.

spacer.png

Olly

Edit: By the way, where's this blessèd duck supposed to be? :D I've never been able to see it. At the EP it looks like a space station to me. 

Edited by ollypenrice

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

where's this blessèd duck supposed to be?

My gf informs me that it's the formation of a flying flock we should be looking for.

And she should know; she once joined the stars of m44 to make a  bee   pterodactyl;)

• Haha 1