Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is this image a good visual example of binning?

Tom OD

Hi All

I saw this and variations of this on social media this. 

Its another interesting brain teaser. I thought it was good example of how binning works. The idea of using small bits of colour to make the brain fill in the gaps.

Is this pic black and white or colour.

What do you think, could I use it in a talk to describe binning? 

Tom 

1E113836-2685-474E-935E-3C9455B9D766.jpeg

Edited by Tom OD

I don't fully understand the way in which the grid seems to impart colour to the black and white image behind it. (It's a shame my father isn't here to ask because he was a perception theorist in academic life.) However, I'm not entirely persuaded that the analogy with binning is a perfect one. There are probably psychological processes at work with the grid which are not needed or applicable in observing an image with binned colour under unbinned luminance. In the case of the grid, the resolution is almost zero since it follows just the outline of a shape and it imparts the impression of just one colour. I find that the more I look at the grid image the less effective is the colour illusion.

I think a better analogy is to be found in the 'line and wash' watercolour technique in which a very low resolution colour wash is applied over a far more detailed pen and ink drawing.  http://www.artyfactory.com/pen_and_ink_drawing/pen_and_ink_drawing_2.htm

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

I would say that there is a bit of connection between that image and usage of binning in astrophotograpy.

One way binning is used on CCD sensors is to capture R, G and B information at lower resolution, for similar reason as is presented on above image - brain is more sensitive to variations in brightness than it is in color. This image shows more than just that, it shows that brain sees "in context" - in the same way it "reads" in context - Fqr exgmole, yiu shgud be abqe to rkad thws sedtjnce, although it is total rubbish :D - Brain sees start and end of every word and its length and based on context is able to reconstruct what's it is saying. In similar way in above B&W image with superimposed grid - grid is providing hint of color, and our brain just fills in the blanks (but it relies heavily on context - we know what sort of color ones skin should be and possible clothes colors and such).

On the other hand, binning in AP has also different usage, and I don't think above image could be used to explain that.

• Like 1

Dont forget the eye has pretty awful resolution outside of the very small central fovea and relies on rapid scanning to generate an 'image' in the brain. Try staring at a single letter and reading anything without moving a muscle.
If I was to guess, I'd say it is a example of binning, the bit you stare at is obviously not in colour, but the rest obviously is. I'm thinking the colour hatching outside the center of vision matches the resolution of the eye there, but not at the center. But I'd also guess at persistence of vision and other effects adding in as above.

Thanks for the replies.

You have all mentioned some interesting thoughts on this. The brain does seem to fill in a lot of missing information. The lack of sensitivity of night vision too is another topic.

A friend came with me to go Aurora watching and she could not see the bright Neon Green when it locked of. She only saw the dimmer Yellow and Purple. To her all the green was just grey.

I googled it later and it seems that 15% of the population has the same issue, of lack of green sensitivty at night.

Tom.