NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Setup...

Hi all,

After much deliberation, I decided to get another C8 instead of the C9.25 or C11, except with Fastar compatibility.. Reason for my decision was that 1. That there were only 2 Fastar OTAs left, so outside of EdgeHD, Celestron is not adding Fastar to their OTAs... the other reason is that I would have to basically get new accessories for a bigger OTA, namely the refractor dovetail, the solar film, a new FR if it would be a EdgeHD scope, a new piggy back etc.. this way I have the possibility of fastar imaging and a new scope.

The unboxing...191872433_C8Unbox_24Jul2019.JPG.4a2cafb6923d1dd665350d333fe94c9d.JPG

Followed by the setup... I upgraded the secondary with Bobs knobs, installed my illuminated 9x50 finder instead of the supplied 6x30 finder scope, but also added a TelRAD to the kit...

The unit is collimated and aligned, and it all came in at 14Kg... 30lb.. with 10lb to spare for the CGEM max rated load.... of course as I finished setting up the scope, clouds stopped me from a proper first light imaging...

1398931708_TheLABC825Jul2019.JPG.fb7183f9a03b7f7ce2a06a6ba7df676b.JPG

... but the system is ready to go on the next clear night....

Clear skies,

MG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Nice setup!

so no more standard Celestron Cx OTA’s with Fastar?

Not by the look of it... I suspect that it has something to do with the release of the 8" RASA. Continuing with fastar on C8s makes the 8" RASA unnecessary, where as with a C8 you get both, observing and imaging at higher focal lengths along with f2 capability except for a considerably lower  price.

Business move..

I think the edgeHD OTAs are still fastar compatible.

• Thanks 1