Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eastern Veil

Anthonyexmouth

Well this is my first image with my ASI294mb Pro, finally joined the big boys with cooled cameras.

10x 240s Unity Gain and 50x darks. No flats.

what process would I use to reduce the amount of stars in the image, seems a bit OTT.

heres the stacked image in case anyone wants to play with it. 

Autosave003.tif

processing advice is very welcome. 

657557728_EVeil.thumb.jpg.b833d70c313cb04c64cf55f469c3efce.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Anthony,

I think you "over-cooked" yours a bit...

Below is my quick interpretation of your nice data of only 40 minutes! :) :) 

I used PI for that.

As you have A Very big amount of stars in the image, - it was quite difficult to control them via Star Mask, so I have not spend a lot of time on it.

but with proper Start Mask for the smaller ones, - you can get rid of them completely using Morphological Transformation tool in PI, but I do love it as it is...

Not sure which software you use, - so I will not start explaining every step I did.

just a short example, made by beginner with some experience :) :)

P.S. I think, I have over-cooked it slightly also...

1483892891_NGC6992A.thumb.jpg.c8ea1e553129cf8fd60f032db9bd7588.jpg

Edited by RolandKol

I wanted to use PI but already had 2 trials and after buying the camera I had to settle on APP for a while and this was my first time using that. 

Got 2 clear nights coming up. Not sure whether to add more data to this or pic another target. 

Still a bit lost with this camera but so much nicer than the canon. 

42 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I wanted to use PI but already had 2 trials and after buying the camera I had to settle on APP for a while and this was my first time using that. 

Got 2 clear nights coming up. Not sure whether to add more data to this or pic another target. 

Still a bit lost with this camera but so much nicer than the canon. 

:) you have only 40min on it! :)
So if you like it, - I would say you need at least 3h on it to make a nice test image... After 3h, visually noticeable SNR increase is 12h, so I usually stop at ~3h (depends how many subs were lost due to tracking issues or clouds or ....).
To be honest, I would like to see your 3 hour image as even 40mins are really nice, you probably hide in quite a dark place :)

But on another hand, once I received my astro-cam, I been shooting left and right, to check what result I can get on different nebulas and galaxies with a limited 1h integration per each target.

We learn as we play, don't we? :) it must be a pleasure.

As per APP, - not sure, as never used it. Lets hope someone will pop-in to give you advise.
I do not know how the image is stretched in APP, - but you should reduce this part quite heavily.... And green... yep sometimes is nice, but OIII regions are closer to be  blue, so the Colour calibration step in your procedure was not successful.

Edited by RolandKol

7 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I am lucky to be in a darkish area. Chart says bortle 3.8 but I'd guess a little higher. 

What I miss with PI is the blink feature. 

I'll have to start saving for that. 

3.8!!! hrrrr! :) my place is  8/9!!!! :)

As per APP, - people do produce a very nice images with it.

Not sure if you checked this one, but https://youtu.be/eFtufjtuDns (starting from 4min 15sec)  is quite automatic! :) 
if you did choose stretch 25%, choose the smaller 15% or 20% and I guess you will end up with a nice image at the end ;)of-course, colour calibration is a bit more tricky, but I am sure you will end up with a nice results APP also.

I am lucky to be in a darkish area. Chart says bortle 3.8 but I'd guess a little higher. 

Yes you are very lucky, I agree with Roland even the dark site we go to as often as we can is Bortle 4, not as good as your regular site.

Carole 

1 minute ago, carastro said:

Yes you are very lucky, I agree with Roland even the dark site we go to as often as we can is Bortle 4, not as good as your regular site.

Carole 

I think mine is actually bortle 4. As for being my regular site, it's my backyard. Some pollution maps say 3.8 and they might be right after the street lamps go out. Milky way is very bright overhead on a clear night. 

• Like 1