Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

PNG75.5+1.7 (Soap bubble) ... a challenge !!

Craney

".....and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard...."  

This phrase has been ringing in my ears all week, so I chose to image the Soap Bubble Planetary Nebula, with a Full Moon this week and about 2 hours nautical darkness  with an 80mm refractor and with 10 mins subs.    So it was a narrowband venture in Ha and OIII.    A challenge then.

These are the longest subs I have ever taken and the total duration was the longest I have ever done for a single object.  Also, everything has been stretched to beyond any elastic limit for an image.....

The result is not conclusive.   I think its in there......    Has anybody imaged this lovely little object with an 80mm  from the UK ?? 

1756777637_PresentationSoapBubble.jpg.e07a3d566b652170d5bf8364d8c18f40.jpg

Atik 414ex.  Equinox 80 with 0.6x reducer. HeQ5. Phd2.

Ha 100mins  (10x10)

OIII 70mins  (7x10)

Maybe one for the bigger guns and more darkness.

Sean

Edited by Craney
  • Like 2

Your left hand arrow is bang on. Your downward pointing one needs to go down a little and a tad left to hit the top of Bubble. (I confirmed by dropping a deep image of the object onto yours in Registar.) As you say, it's a faint devil but you have it!

Olly

• Like 1

Interesting.  I imaged this target not so long ago, but the Soap Bubble is not in the FOV, so was thinking to add an extra panel, but does the soap bubble show up in broadband or narrowband as my original image in in narrowband?

Carole

5 hours ago, carastro said:

Interesting.  I imaged this target not so long ago, but the Soap Bubble is not in the FOV, so was thinking to add an extra panel, but does the soap bubble show up in broadband or narrowband as my original image in in narrowband?

Carole

Carole, I find it's much, much more faint in broadband than narrowband.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

....  it's a faint devil but you have it!

Olly

Thanks Olly.    You are right, there is something circular in there, as you say .....down and left a bit.

I didn't what to create an optical illusion of circularity with two orthogonal arrows,  suggesting a presence  than was not by itself a stand out feature.  

Thought it would be more obvious with these exposures, credit to all those who have bagged it though.

Might have to get the 6"F4 reflector out and give it a go approaching the New Moon.

My reference was the photo on the Atik Camera's  Summer Targets Page.

https://www.atik-cameras.com/news/summer-astrophotography-targets/

Cheers,

Sean