Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HoTech laser collimator

3 hours ago, John said:

I've had my fill of cheap and expensive lasers over the years. I've collimated the lasers carefully before use as well (even the expensive ones were not that accurate). I've had expensive cheshires and sight tubes too and a Tectron set. I've tried the barlowed laser approach, which was the best of the laser-assisted methods I think but I'm now happy to rely on the cheap plastic shorty cheshire / sight tube combo. It works, it's quick, and it's accurate. Job done :thumbright:

John

Have found that the Saxon laser collimator is a fraction undersize to a 1.25" eyepiece, and can wobble a bit

Have done old fashion way, and used empty film canister, with a small hole drilled in the centre

John

• Like 1

Right I’ve just ordered the £25 astro essentials Cheshire/sight tube combo and the Rigel collimation cap. That will do me for now. Also got the skywatcher 2” Oiii filter for hopefully seeing the veil as I don’t have an Oiii yet. Can always get an Astronomik in future. Right ban me from FLO and any classifieds sections lol. 

• Haha 1