Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Epic fail and frustration! - Celestron Astro FI 90

After a couple of nights under the stars with the Celestron Astro Fi, I've formed quite strong opinion about it. Unfortunately they're not the most positive opinions. Further to the video below I've since learnt the scope works better with IOS. My Android devices either didn't work at all or worked very un responsively, sometimes slewing out of control heading for tripod collisions!

The paper instructions tell you to follow the onscreen instructions for the SkyPortal App, only the default goto routine on screen is SkyAlign which I've never had any luck with in the past. You can go into the setting and change this, but a beginner wouldn't nessasarily now this? Despite the nice optics and good battery life I can't recommend this telescope for a beginner due to being very frustrating. I think it would soon put them off the hobby which would be a shame.

I really do appreciate FLO loaning me this telescope for review, thanks FLO! I think it's really valuable to find these things out and pass on the knowledge to those new to the hobby. 

I'll never take hand controllers for granted again, that's for sure! :D 

23 hours ago, Lockie said:

My Android devices either didn't work at all or worked very un responsively, sometimes slewing out of control heading for tripod collisions!

Which devices did you try? Some android devices have cheap(er) screens which tend to stop working properly when they get cold, which is a bit of an issue if you want to use them for astronomy.

My Cosmos 90gt is essentially the same, but with a different exterior paint job.

23 hours ago, Lockie said:

My Android devices either didn't work at all or worked very un responsively, sometimes slewing out of control heading for tripod collisions!

I (very, very, occasionally) use mine with my Samsung Android tablet, but much prefer the handsets with my (mechanically equivalent) Skymax and Skyprodigy mounts. I found that the tablet would revert to my home hub, leaving the mount in an uncontrollable slew, so I added  power "kill" switch to the mount. I also found that, whilst looking through the eyepiece, I could not easily locate the virtual up/down/left/right buttons on the tablet's touch-screen - not a problem on the other 2 mounts with real buttons and the tactile feedback on their dedicated handsets. There have also been times, during the SkyPortal alignment failed attempts, when I have disagreed with its conclusions, and been very tempted to do my own re-alignment with my 4-pound lump hammer!

At least, the 90mm OTA fits on my other mounts, so all is not lost.

Geoff

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ricochet said:

Which devices did you try? Some android devices have cheap(er) screens which tend to stop working properly when they get cold, which is a bit of an issue if you want to use them for astronomy.

It's a good thought but I'm fairly confident that it's Android in general. 

initially tried my Motorolla G6 phone which simply wouldn't work with the scope. Then I tried our decent Samsung tablet, which has a good screen (plus it's summer so shouldn't be effected by the cold), this worked but un reliably/un responsively as mentioned. I also looked at using the kids Amazon Fire but you can't get the app for this device it seems :( 

Speaking with other owners on YT, the verdict was that it's more to do with Android devices in general. One owner had both IOS and Android and said that IOS worked much better with his Astro Fi. I found out today that Apple used to sell this scopes predecessor through their store, and likely collaborated with Celestron in order to get it working well. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Geoff Lister said:

My Cosmos 90gt is essentially the same, but with a different exterior paint job.

I (very, very, occasionally) use mine with my Samsung Android tablet, but much prefer the handsets with my (mechanically equivalent) Skymax and Skyprodigy mounts. I found that the tablet would revert to my home hub, leaving the mount in an uncontrollable slew, so I added  power "kill" switch to the mount. I also found that, whilst looking through the eyepiece, I could not easily locate the virtual up/down/left/right buttons on the tablet's touch-screen - not a problem on the other 2 mounts with real buttons and the tactile feedback on their dedicated handsets. There have also been times, during the SkyPortal alignment failed attempts, when I have disagreed with its conclusions, and been very tempted to do my own re-alignment with my 4-pound lump hammer!

At least, the 90mm OTA fits on my other mounts, so all is not lost.

Geoff

Geoff, I know it's not nice for you, but I'm so pleased to hear this! I agree entirely. I don't think I've been wound up by a scope alignment as much as with this scope.....ever! 

Yes! mine kept on slewing like crazy, but I didn't notice the Wifi dropping out? I just thought it was the buttons on the tablet sticking? I think it was just the buttons because once it finally stopped going berserk it would sometimes respond without having to re connect. 

Again yes! when looking through the EP's (which are very nice Kelner's) I keot on pressing the wrong part of the screen, because as you say, there is no feel. 

Give me a good old hand set any day :) 

• Sad 1