Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Out before work.

The monster in my head woke me around midnight but I fought back for a while. Finally I gave up the fight and got out of bed at 1:15.

Taking the dogs out I saw once again it was  very clear. Jupiter was shining brilliantly being 15 degrees past its zenith. 

I went back in and grabbed my binoculars, put them on a camera tripod and hurried back out.

Seeing Jupiter made me wish I had time to use my dob, but oh well. Its four large moons were three to the left and one to the right.

With the sky so clear, I turned and to my surprise quickly found M31. Its core stood out clearly and even not having time for my eyes to adapt, I could being to make out some of its shape.

Turning away from it, I took a fast look at Antares, then scanning from it was able to find M4. It was a bit more distinct than M31.

All in all, a nice 15 or 20 minutes.

• Like 8

Those quick 15-20 minute sessions with bins are always great and although at the time you wish you had brought out the scope, when you do come in you generally feel more than satisfied...

I had an enjoyable 15 minute session with Jupiter and Saturn about 1120  last night. Sky was quite cloudy but they were moving through quite quickly. Jupiter and 4 moons bright and clear through the monopod mounted 10x50s but every time cloud moved in front, Saturn was in a clear patch. It was just clearing the houses so couldn't really make out any moons, but an unmistakable oval shape. Had a great time just alternating between the 2 when the clouds permitted. 

• Like 1