Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Exit pupil for extended nebulae or large galaxies

Piero

Out of curiosity, what range of exit pupils do you use for observing large extended nebulae or large galaxies? 

I tend to use something around 3mm, but would like to read what other members do.

8 hours ago, jetstream said:

I just had the 12.5mm Docter on M51 (stunning) and M101 (spectacular) in the 24", so about 3mm. The range I use for large nebs is 4mm-6mm generally.

Thanks Gerry

My "goto" eyepiece for DSO hunting is the 21mm Ethos with my 12" dob. Exit Pupil is 3.96mm. My next step is the 13mm Ethos with a 2.45mm EP in that scope although I often find that I skip straight to the 8mm for a closer look.

The 31mm Nagler would show me a little more sky but often at the expense of backgound darkness so I don't use that one much with the dob.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John said:

My "goto" eyepiece for DSO hunting is the 21mm Ethos with my 12" dob. Exit Pupil is 3.96mm. My next step is the 13mm Ethos with a 2.45mm EP in that scope although I often find that I skip straight to the 8mm for a closer look.

The 31mm Nagler would show me a little more sky but often at the expense of backgound darkness so I don't use that one much with the dob.

Thanks, John. The 31mm Nagler is about 5.9mm in your dob, if I'm correct.

4 hours ago, Piero said:

Thanks, John. The 31mm Nagler is about 5.9mm in your dob, if I'm correct.

Yes - it's an F/5.3 scope. I used the 31 Nagler with the scope last night as it happens. Also the 21mm Ethos and rather brazenly a 40mm Aero ED. It was interesting comparing the views of the Veil Nebula using an O-III filter with these 3 eyepieces. This was around 1:00 am so the sky was dark and the nebula high up. All 3 eyepieces showed nice views. I could not quite fit the whole of the Eastern Veil in the TFoV of the Ethos but it did fit into the N31 and 40mm FoVs. Last night I think I preferred the Nagler 31 view - darker sky background than the 40mm but still the whole sweep of NGC6992 and friends framed by a little dark space. Truly a Summer highlight with a decent aperture scope :thumbright:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John said:

Yes - it's an F/5.3 scope. I used the 31 Nagler with the scope last night as it happens. Also the 21mm Ethos and rather brazenly a 40mm Aero ED. It was interesting comparing the views of the Veil Nebula using an O-III filter with these 3 eyepieces. This was around 1:00 am so the sky was dark and the nebula high up. All 3 eyepieces showed nice views. I could not quite fit the whole of the Eastern Veil in the TFoV of the Ethos but it did fit into the N31 and 40mm FoVs. Last night I think I preferred the Nagler 31 view - darker sky background than the 40mm but still the whole sweep of NGC6992 and friends framed by a little dark space. Truly a Summer highlight with a decent aperture scope :thumbright:

Lucky you, John! I am jealous! I wish I could stay up till late to observe, but cannot due to work. Yesterday evening the sky seemed pristine here in Cambridge. Steady too! Glad to read you enjoyed observing the Veil nebula. Well done! :)

• Thanks 1