NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Grab and Go imaging setup for lunar / solar transits etc..

Hi everyone

One of the things I dont have at present is a grab and go setup for imaging solar and lunar transits etc...
I know the ST and EVO range are by far not the best for this type of thing but for basic imaging as a grab and go or quick setup how do they really fare?
I would be looking for a mount to go with it as well, Goto is not required but basic tracking would be nice.

In reality it is something that may only get used a few times a year due to doing the main of my imaging etc... from home, therefore I am really not wanting to break the bank too much.
Any input, advise or alternatives would be great.

Mark

What's your budget? 

I use a SolarQuest Mount that finds and tracks the sun automatically, but it's a one trick pony and is solar only. 

The other mount I use is the AZGti which is the same basic chassis as the SolarQuest but is a conventional compact goto. 

I use mine on heavy'ish photo Tripods (Manfrotto 058 or Manfrotto 057).

Scope wise I picked up a used WO ZS66SD for white light which is my most used setup due to its tiny travel friendly size.  I can fit everything I need for basic terrestrial / nocturnal / WL Solar in its little flight case. 

It depends on how much you're willing to throw at it. I don't regret a penny of what I spent on my grab and go and everything was used except the AZGti which I got new. 

Hope this helps, this works really well for me. 

20180525_165851.thumb.jpg.f207461abdf1e806d3eaafc6c3e50773.jpgIMG_20190422_094607.thumb.jpg.349d2d95dfbcd67250ab38b6d59c6a34.jpg

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling

I have not really set any kind of a budget.
I am the process of trying to rebuild my obsy as well so trying to keep costs down as much as possible.
The GTi mount is one I have been looking at, the fact that it can be modified into a basic EQ mount for use with a dslr as well would be a bonus.

Thanks for the advise

• Thanks 1

Apologies, the first part of my response sounded brusque on re-reading, that's not what I intended.

I think that the GTi mount is an excellent travel setup and very capable though it is in need of a more sturdy tripod than its supplied with in the standard kit. 

I think @Grant was trialling one for lightweight imaging in EQ mode last year but I can't find the thread just now.

There have been some bargain small and small'ish scopes advertised on the classifieds here recently, at least one of which I wish I'd grabbed. 

But for me, the little ZS66SD is an absolute gem and is one which will likely have to be prized from my cold dead fingers as the saying goes. 

Good luck with the hunt. 

Ade